I've been depressed for 8 weeks, what should I do? ankle swolling and leg is very thin

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello! guys

in a accident my ankle was broken.

2 screw 2 pins in my ankle.

This was the beginning of my 9 weeks.

But my leg is very thin and very swollen

i upload my leg and foot pics. u can see my leg is so thin. my surgeon said me: its normal when you start exercise. your leg get normal again .is it true . give me solution.

tension depression high level and my ankle not moving..doc say me stat 20% weight bearing.......................

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

This is normal.  Once you start exercises and become mobile again the muscles will build on your leg.

swelling on ankle will take some time to improve, you just have to have patience.

You need to find a hobby to keep you relaxed, this will help your depression and tension levels.

Every day you will see improvements, small they may be but they are helping on the way to recovery.

• Posted

Hi

That is normal. Your ankle doesn't look very swollen really. Mine was 4 times larger. Your leg will build up again once you start walking. I'm 6 months post op and my leg is still not like the other one yet. You have nothing to worry about. It's all good. 🙂

• Posted

now i can't wait more...this is worst time is my life.
  • Posted

I know how you feel. I was the same way at first; depressed and worried that my leg would never be normal again. But actually your swelling is not that bad. My ankle and the entire calf is still very large after 3 months. But the doctor says this is normal. Have you been given any exercise to do? That really helps. Also keep the leg elevated as much as possible. 
    • Posted

I'm 5.5 months since surgery and my ankle is still swollen and worse after returning home from 10 hours at work. I massage it, bathe it , do exercises etc but still limping badly. The depression is normal, the redness is also normal after doing exercises. Try not to worry too much, it will get better with time as other patients have said.
  • Posted

Hi ther  .. I am now 10 weeks after having 2 pins  and 2 screws over 2 

operations as first wasn't done right.   Had my cast off last Thursday and was given a cam/air boot.  Was told no physio yet .. Just wear boot all the time other than showering or bathing even have to sleep in the blooming thing.  Next appointment 5 weeks " to see how I am coping" appointment came through for 7 weeks so had to ring and argue for earlier appointment.

I am going on holiday in ten weeks and am going to need physio to get

ankle moving again.  Don't want to be hobbling around in Rhodes.  The

whole thing for me has been a blooming fiasco.  My right calf looks like a bat wing as the muscle has nearly disappeared and aches like hell.  However I am trying to keep positive I won't let this beat me down.  I have found some gentle exercises on line and am doing these every day after bathing my leg and ankle.  65 years of age Oooops 66 in April - Onwards and upwards. Mind over matter and positive thinking.  Ps. You are allowed to have days where you feel down and sorry for yourself but stay positive , be happy and things can only get better. 

• Posted

today i start my 9 week . i am now out of cast. my doctor not give me a boot or any physio.. he give me some exercise tips e.t.c ........and 20% weight bearing only. now only toes touching in to floor. but i try my best. and my right calf look like,toothpaste gel very week ...   doc say: when you start walking, its going normal again...... thanks 4 reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.