I've been depressed for a couple years, what should I do?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been depressed for a couple of years, but scared to go to the doctors in case they tell my family. If I went to the doctors and explained that I have been depressed for a couple of years and tried private counselling but it hasn't made much difference would they be able to supply some sort of medication for it or not?

3 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You should be able to get mental health meds and maintain privacy. At the least, you could ask the doctor if the meds could be kept private.

It's worth it to get yourself healthy.

Do you feel unsupported by your family?

Do you have any other relatives or adults you could trust?

Don't let it get worse.

• Posted

The above advice is good , have you got a counsellor at your school or a teacher that you feel relaxed enough to confide in , please take care and remember there are many teenagers who suffer like you do , also check out Mind Website - they do a very good selection of booklets - Understanding Depression and other topics - very easy to follow ,they recommend ways of helping yourself - how you eat , etc . i highly recommend them as i have had them for myself - if you have email you can email Mindinfoline , check out their facebook page , take care .
  • Posted

I agree with AbbyJ, you should be able to obtain help and keep it private.  Since you have tried counseling and it has not made a whole lot of difference for you, then an antidepressant could be your next best step.  But how to hide the medication and the purchase of the medication, I do not know how.  Also, perhaps trying a different counselor could help too.  It is not easy to find the right fit, and some counselors are more talented than others.  

Any way you look at it, you need to take care of you.  

Hoping the best for you

Dawn, USA

• Posted

Ah yes, I forgot about cost. Many generics are quite affordable.

Please keep posted!

• Posted

More than 8 million people in the U.S. suffers from depression, and many of us are embarrassed to tell that we are suffering. A therapist said you wouldn't be ashamed if you had cancer or diabetes etc. Depression is a disease too. For 19 years, I have been on antidepressants; and it just wouldn't go away. I would lie in bed unable to function. I often felt lazy, crazy, you name it. The only thing the doctors wanted to do was add more medications. Recently, I took my findings and begged for something else to be done. Turns out I have low vitamin D and hypo. I'm taking vitamin D supplements and 50mcg levo. I'm sorry you're suffering, please talk to your doctor. Ask for a full blood workup, including : TSH, T3 and T4. Have your minerals levels checked too. I believe your family and friends are already aware of your depression. You'll be surprised as to how family can assist in the road to recovery. Feel better soon.
  • Posted

Vitamin D is a good place to start. I'm taking a heavy load right now myself.

It's true, the stigma makes dealing with depression hard. I, too, have avoided getting help and seeking treatment due to feeling like I was "crazy". I have lied on PHQ9 forms to seem more "normal".

It sometimes feels impossible to take the first step.

• Posted

When your in bed, tell yourself to get up. See yourself throwing the covers off you. See yourself swinging your legs off the bed, sitting up, standing and walking to the shower, dressing etc. Imagery is crucial for those of us who are suffers of this dreaded disease. You have to take one day at a time. One goal at a time. Please don't delay make your doctors appointed. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Posted

My daughter who has had low self esteem depression and anxiety has been on Sertraline for 6 months now. een a transformation, confident happy and relaxed.Go to your doctor if you want to be private about it thats O.K.Nobody asked to be depressed sometimes its in out genes.It is in my family goes back to my grandad sometimes its when you worry about others and not yourself.

Your important and deserve to be happy.Go to the doctors see a lady if you can their more understanding.

Let us know how you get on do it do it please.

Gloria xx

• Posted

Hi if you are 16 or over you are legally an adult and there is no way a doctor would break your confidence.  At least this is the case in the UK.  In other countries I don't know.  x
    • Posted

So if I went to the doctors about it my family wouldn't find out? Also if I'd had counselling in the pass for a long period of time but didn't make much difference would they refer me to another one or get the point it hasn't helped and try medication? My job takes up a lot of my time now and I don't really have time for it either? Thanks you x
    • Posted

As long as you are legally an adult why would any professional be able to break your confidence?   That only applies to minors.   Your medical provider or any professional person is bound by the Data Confidentiality act and cannot by law pass on your information to anyone.  

I have no idea what your doctor will do but normally you are given ad's to help you to start feeling better and more able to tackle your issues.  Most people need help such as therapy to sucessfully tackle them but it's your choice.   I would ask you though - what is more important?  Your job? or your health?    There are many different types of therapy so just because it didn't work for you last time doesn't mean it won't help now or another type could.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.