I've been depressed since my urologist won't give me a catheter post turp four weeks.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have urgency and peeing on average ten -15 minutes each urination. My urologist declined to give me a catheter and said in two weeks my urinating should be fine again. Without a catheter I am too tired to get around as usual. It makes me angry, because I could of avoided all the struggle with this if he would of put in the catheter for the time remaining until it is healed. It feels like I haven't had the operation....

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark. you had a major surgery on your prostate. body does take time to recover and heal. if you get the catheter then the whole purpose of the surgery is defeated. make sure you haven't got an infection. after surgery sometimes you can get an overactive bladder so medicines to calm down the bladder can be taken such as fesoterodine, solifenacin or mirabegron. you certainly need to go caffeine free till your symptoms settle. usually takes 6-8 weeks. hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank-you so much. It really gives me a perspective that I needed.

• Posted

There is just too much frequency and long urination. I feel I need the catheter to function.

• Posted

I don't think it slows the healing process, does it. I appreciate your response. Thanks.

• Posted

Mark,

Did you want a Foley catheter or Intermittent catheters ? He may not want to give you the Foley because they install it, just a guess. But you do the Intermittent catheters yourself, so I don't know why he would object. You could ask him for some which your Urologist might give you and add it to you bill, or you can ask him for a prescription. You may be able to get intermittent catheters yourself, from a distributor but they may require a prescription. You can always call a distributor and ask for samples, if they want a prescription they might call your doctor and ask for it. If none of that works you could try to get a prescription from another Urologist or your GP.

If you want to try intermittent catheters and have not done it before you should get some instruction how to do it, from your Urologist or by watching videos on-line. A good type to try for starting are the red rubber type. Bard is one of the companies that makes them.

Hope this helps

Thomas

• Posted

Thanks Thomas. You're an angel. This is what I needed to hear and you have been very informative. I've never been so upset in my life as the last two weeks when I have been struggling so much. I also am interviewing for a new job shortly. I have not been able to get a catheter and the urgency and length of urination have been overwhelming me. Thanks again.

• Posted

I am buying catheters all the time without prescriptions. You can even buy them on Ebay, lol. If they ask if you have prescription, just answer yes. If they ask for doctor name, just give it. Most of the time they will not check.

• Posted

What is an intermittent catheter Thomas?

• Posted

Mark, you probably need a catheter. It sounds similar to what happened to my brother, weeks after aTURP. He went back and begged the uro to reinstall another catheter. Turned out there were still some chunks of dead tissues that could not come out without the catheter. Everything was fine after the tissues came out.

Intermittent catheters are the ones we use to self cath. We thread it into the penis all the way to the bladder, to drain the urine and anything else out. After that, we thread it out, and put it aside. Look online on self cathing.

• Posted

Mark,

Intermittent catheters are catheters you insert yourself whenever you feel the need to drain your bladder. It sounds painful but it's not. It is a little time consuming but you don't do as many times as you urinate now, because it drains the bladder completely and you may not have to go again for another 6 to 8 hours. The advantage us that you don't have it in 24/7 like a Foley. If your thinking about using intermittent catheters a large size like 18 may help drain blood clots and other debree out of your bladder. Normally most people use about a size 14.

There is a possibility you have clots blocking your flow, or like someone mentioned you might have a UTI and should get your doctor to test for it. You can also buy SIEMENS MULTISTIX 10 SG on Ebay, and other web sites, and test your urine yourself for bacteria.

Good luck

Thomas

• Posted

Thanks Thomas. Sounds like it's just what I need.

• Posted

Can I ask how old you are, Mark?

When you go to the toilet are you urinating a lot, a little, and what's your stream like?

• Posted

You should have a urine test to find out if you have an infection. I had a cystoscope a year ago and was running to the bathroom every 15 minutes. Then, I took an antibiotic and the problem was solved in a few hours.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.