I`ve been diagnosed with Bilateralosteoarthritis .

Posted , 5 users are following.

With this, i suffer from lower lumba cronic back pain, due to my job i do over the past years. I`ve had 2 x-rays to confirm this and all the doctors tell me to do is exercise and take painkillers when i feel the pain in my hips. The back pain came first and could not move for a month. the painkillers made me ill, so i stopped taking them. My hips give me cronic pain when i walk 50 yards and i have to stop, and was told to take tablets when the pain starts. This has blightened me now for the rest of my life, being 58 now, i get depressed over it, as i`m limited in walking, taking dog for a work, walking with my wife to the shops, doing jobs in the garden, i am cursed, thanks to my job. I dont take any painkillers, i just grin and bear it. Hope you lot have a better outcome than me, as i know there are people worse off than what i am. I dont take pills due to the side effects, and the doc says there is nothing else that they can do for me. thanks.

4 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Peter

Can you not find some meds that will not give you side effects.....well thats silly sorry they all do. But ones that dont give you such bad side effects.

I was told not to play catch up with pain, stay on top of it....in other words take the meds as prescribed....not just when you get sore.....That seems strange a doc telling you to take them when the pain starts...not to prevent it!!!

I've got scolios which is a curved spine and arthritis in my lower spine, in my hips, one ankle, and neck.

After my 2nd hip replacement I was doing an exercise and fractured a bone at the femur where they had replaced the hip....not due to the hip replacemment but to un diagnosed osteoporosis which weakened my bones.....Long story but the end is that I'm on crutches permanently now.

I take paracetamol and naproxen forthe pain. I've had one cortisone injection in my leg for the fracture....4 months ago, that worked but is wearing off now so I'll leave it as long as I can and ring him again and he said he would do another one.

You have to pace yourself.....I know its the hardest thing to do but just do a little at a time. What is/was your job?

Would the dog be happy with half the distance LOL and possibly a second walk later?

Do you use any aids? Stick/ walker/ mobility scooter/ crutch? to help you walk.

Take care

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, i`m actually a guard on sothwest trains would you believe, so i cant possibilly use any walking aids. These trains they have now are worse for rocking movement, side to side than the slamdoor trains we used to have. I used to be really a good walker before all this, it`s like ski-ing everyday for 11 years, thats how i got this, and i`m not the only guard at work who has this, some not as bad, but a few worse. The RMT union stsrted to look into this, but now have resorted to sit on their hands, and our management, well, i`ll pass on that. I went off work for nearly 4 months and they threatened me with re-deployment, due to no fault of my own. It`s starting to get to me, like just put me in the corner and count the cracks.ha ha. The doc prescribed me with Naproxen, but they dont work, and paracetamol alone are a waste of time, any stronger and i cant go on track, so it`s catch 22 situation.  He`s also given me Omeprazole to counteract the Naproxen. so i dont take any. He`s also said to take Citalopram, anti-depressents for a few mood swings, due to the pain. I know the pain can be bad, but i tollerate the pain just to get on in life, but i`m so angry that they said there is nothing else they can do to me. hope your okay yourself.
    • Posted

Hi Peter

Well I'm not OK......not now ! I'm on 2 crutches permanently.

Would you not think of changing your job.....we do have to adapt to this awful thing called arthritis and pain. Not fight it.

I can understand that you cant use aids in your work.

You mention walking the dog and shopping with your wife.....would you not use something then?

I was saying what I took not what would help you.......I take omneporzol as well   you def. should be taking that if you're on an anti-inflammatory. its to stop or prevent ulcers in your stomach. I think the other one is lansoprozol.....spelling????cheesygrin They both do th same job. I didnt mention those 'cause to me they arent pain killkers.

I honestly think you should look for another job....re-train.

What does your wife think of all this? has she any suggestions?

I do undeerstand that you cant use anthing in this particular job but when doing other things outside your job I think you should find something that helps.  Physiotherapist would help you ther or an Occupational therapist

Good luck

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Hello Peter, We are the same age and i have septic arthritis since aged 11. Had a knee replacement when i was 39 and a revision one done aged 52. I am now in constant pain with my back for 18 years with Osteoarthritis. I now suffer nerve pain in my leg, and i am anxious and depressed and they may not be able to do a third knee replacement. I understand your difficulties with walking and other activities. Moving about and exercise are good  but only gentle exercises like stretching or swimming. I don't swim so that's out for me. I cannot even do housework now without pain as bending is agony. I cannot sit comfortably or stand , only for a few minutes. I only walk a few yards. Anyway i feel you do need to take some form of painkiller, it won't cure you but will help you stabilise. I take Gaberpentin and Naproxen, only side effects are tiredness. I also take Citalopram for depression. I understand your loss of health, it's so debilitating. I can no longer work. There are other drugs you could try, i was on Amitiptyline and Arcoxia at one time. Please go back to your GP and ask for a drug review for your pain. Eileen is right you need to stay on top of the pain and that means taking suitable drugs all the time not just when you feel the pain. Pacing yourself is another way of coping, thou will be difficult with your job. Some consultants will prescribe Acupunture thou this didn't help me i have heard people say it's good. We are all different and what works for one person doesn't always work for another person. Please don't put up with the pain. Your job sounds like an occupational hazard, can you be put onto lighter duties. I hope you can find some relief from the pain if only in short bursts. Take care

Best wishes.

Elizabeth. 

• Posted

My little contribution? Research. Read everything you can lay your hands on. Become an expert on your condition. Doctors are not infallible. You never know what you will find. Last, speak to someone with legal expertise. You could be due compensation of some sort if you can prove how you got this thing. You say some co-workers have similar symptoms. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Peter

so sorry to hear of your pain, and the fact nothing can be done. This forum is great for having a good moan and groan and you can rest assured that you won't be told to 'stop moaning'. It certainly helped me. All the very best. Julie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.