I've been diagnosed with BRONCHIECTASIS, what should I know from the Doctor?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello, I am 38 years old,I've been Diagnosed with bronchiectasis few days ago, in a different country by a doctor that doesn't speak English, I can't speak his language either. I will be stuck here for several years more, my wife is from here, she can help me communicate with the doctor. I've been reading the discussion on the forum, there is a lot of valuable information that can help so much.

I really need some help from other patient with experience. If they will be in my situation, FIRST what is the most important information they would ask from the doctor regarding your condition.

I am thinking to make a list of questions and return back to him next week. He is very experienced and kind, is just here the Doctors are extremely busy, people waiting in line, if you want more info you need to do your homework.

So for the moment the only thing I know is that I am diagnosed with Bronchiectasis and what is happening inside my body. Nothing else.

What are the most important things you would ask the doctor about it? I don't want to miss the most important things. I can see there are different types, mild and severe, both lungs affected, or just one, people make tests of the sputum, or pulmonary capacity.

Thank you so much for all your help.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you so much for all your messages. You make this place feel so warm and so friendly. I feel like I've been hugged by each one of you (like humans used to do it before the COVID-19 show up). I am already more confident, relaxed, positive then I used to feel in the first day I found out my diagnostic.

I will reply to all of you in this message.

Yes, I was diagnosed by having a scan. I will keep in mind to ask the doctor about the severity and the "location".

A short story of how I got diagnosed : late in November last year I got a cold, since I recovered from that I noticed that I still have a sputum every 2 or 3 days, the first time of this kind, so I went back to doctor in January, the first Doctor said it looks like a Pneumonia and I should take IV drops, I should stay in hospital for several days. I was not ready for that, I needed to prepare to have few days off. In the meantime COVID-19 show up so I don't want to stay in the hospital anymore. I went after 2 weeks to see another doctor because I was afraid to leave the problem unsolved for long time. I got a CT scan again and blood test, they only detect a small infection, I was already feeling better. She prescribe me 4 pills of antibiotics for 4 days and if the problem persist to go back. The sputum disappeared, I was feeling very good, but after 10-14 days the same problem came back. I went back to hospital, another doctor, another CT scan because the last CT was kind of old, she said the medicine worked good on me, but probably I need more then 4 days, she gave me antibiotics,8 pills, for 8 days. she also add some syrup and something for bronchitis. This time it did not worked so good. Went back after 14 days, the problem was not solved, I was still a light smoker in that time( 2-3 cigarettes / evening together with 2 small beers). When she saw me she was p****d off, "how is that possible to come back again with that small infection? she asked me if I smoke and she said I should quit meanwhile I take the treatment, so she gave me the same for 4 days more. I quit smoking, no beers, I took the medicine, felt much better but the sputum did not disappear. Went back to hospital 6 days ago, another doctor, he saw my scan and listen of this story a little bit. Then he noticed a scar on my lungs. The scar is from a Tuberculosis (TB) that i got infected when I was in University (15 years ago, I don't know how I got such disease meanwhile is almost eradicated) but I suppose my lungs are the most sensitive organ of my body. Then he zoom in the CT scan again and diagnosed me with BRONCHIECTASIS. He explained to me what is happening inside my lungs, why I have the sputum.

I agree, we need to make a lot of research by ourself to help us out dealing with this condition. I also think the USA websites are the best for getting more information. I am not sure why. I also checked British Lung Foundation which is also very helpful on this stage of my research.

Thank you for your suggestions about what I should ask the Doctor next week. They are really helpful, I will come back with an update.

Right now I am living in China, the situation where I am was never bad because of the COVID-19, no confirmed cases in my area, and less then 100 cases in the metropolitan area where we belong to. There are no restrictions, the schools are not open yet, they will start in a few weeks, people still wear masks in supermarket, offices, etc. I hope life will go back to some sort of normality as soon as possible in other corners of the world as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.