I’ve been diagnosed with Costochondritis and I have had trouble with anxiety over the past 2 months.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi my name is Dan and ive been diagnosed with Costochondritis by my Doctor. I have also been struggling with anxiety and i cant really remeber what came first.... was it the costo or the anxiety? Either way, the fact that the costo isnt going away is really getting me down and making wonder will it ever go away? the fact that i an worrying about it every day is not helping with my anxiety. i am taking ibuprofen daily and using heat patches on my back and ice on my chest. i have also been to see an osteopath who confirmed that he could feel tightness in the left side of my chest and gave me a few exercises and streches to do.

i sometimes feel alone in all this as nobody i know has suffered with this.

is there anything else i could be doing to make this go away ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear Dan, sorry to hear about your troubles. I also had very bad anxiety and was misdiagnosed with costo when I'm fact it was merely one of many symptoms linked to my actual problem, coeliac disease. I would recommend keeping a food and feelings diary to see if your problems are being triggered by what you eat, possibly several hours earlier in the day.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Dan,

You're certainly not alone - probably everyone on this board has had the anxiety that comes with costo. I too have been to an osteopath, but she did lots of manipulations on my back and that really, really helped, as did working with the Backpod (google it). The anxiety is definitely part of costo. I find regularly telling myself that costo is not fatal, I'm not having a heart attack and then doing some exercises (including lots of walking for fresh air) really helps. I also do guided meditations for anxiety - that helps a LOT! I have an app on my phone, Insight Timer. It's free - just download it, and then go to the headphones on the menu at the bottom and choose a meditation for anxiety. I also use a couple for going to sleep. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I have been looking into the back pod and have heard great things.... can it get rid of costo completly ? yes meditation is something i have been doing for the past 4-5 weeks daily and sometimes i feel it helps but other times i feel it doesnt. i think i will stick with it.

i walk my dog everyday and enjoy it but i really want to start doing more exercise but i don't want to agrevate the costo .....

• Posted

youre certainly not on your own i can promise you that. i started last December i couldnt walk my heart rate was 180 thought it was my heart. lots of tests later it turns out it wasnt my heart. big relief . it put me out of action for about 10 weeks. Although i still struggle with chest back and arm pain and a heart rate that can just rise without warning. i have managed to get back to work my social life has lasped im just too tired. I hope you your pain starts to ease soon

• Posted

First of all, Dan, you are NOT alone. Please don't feel that way. I have dealt with this for several years, and I've actually been hospitalized because of the anxiety. I've learned to handle the panic attacks by reminding myself that I've experienced this many times before and it didn't kill me, so this time won't, either.

As far as it every going away, I don't know. Mine didn't, but I have learned what triggers it and I try to avoid those things (mainly anything that taxes my chest muscles). The episodes do come and go, but they are usually manageable. Also, because I've dealt with it so long, I am no longer afraid and I don't let it control my life like it once did.

I'm sorry for what you're going through, and I know most people don't understand it, and some don't even believe there is a problem, but there definitely IS a problem. If there is anything I can do to help you with this, please just ask. I will be glad to answer any questions you have as I'm sure many others on this board will as there are definitely some good-hearted people here who know what it's like. You came to the right place.

• Posted

Thank you all for your feedback. its very reasuring to know im not alone with this condition.

• Posted

hi,

i have a few questions about costochondritis if anyone can help? im due to see the doctor this evening, as i have been experiencing soreness around the sternum area, shoulder and pretty much my whole chest!! i must say i have had this for around 2 years! my son when he was a baby/toddler used to lift himself up on my chest by pushing his elbow into my sternum area and it used to make it really really sore! i never went anywhere as i knew it was that making it sore...anyways his 4 now and obviously no longer does this, however the soreness is still there! i dont notice it for weeks and then suddenly it comes on again. its not so much a pain that i feel i should be massively worried about but i must also say im a massive anxiety sufferer! so as you can imagine im terrified its something more sinister. what does it feel like for you personally to have this condition?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.