i've been diagnosed with esophageal spasms....any ideas on what I should do? what have people tried?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I thought I was having angina or a heart attack-turns out- it was esophegal spams...what is that??? It occured in the morning. Its is still not controlled. What have people found helpful?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I get these as part of an illness (achalasia) that I have. They are extremely painful contractions of the muscles of the esophagus. I know what you mean about thinking that you were having heart issues. Before diagnosis I was taken to hospital a couple of times with suspected heart issues during what I now know were spasms. They are truly horrific. I was prescribed Diltiazem 24 Hr delayed release to take for mine by GI doctor ( I was living in the USA at the time). I take it as needed not every day, so basically whenever I feel a spasm starting. It is a calcium channel blocker typically used to treat heart issues, but evidently it also helps these spasms by relaxing the muscles.It works for me within about 20 minutes. I also am aware of the signs that a spasm is about to start and have some tried and tested non medicated methods that work for me (I mention for me as I know a lot of folk who have spasms have different 'go to' methods and what works for one doesn't work for all). I personally find that eating something like dry crackers, and drinking some sparkling water as soon as I feel one start will sometimes kick it in to touch. I've also found that chewing gum also does the same. Some folk swear by using ice cold water, room temperature water,bananas as soon as one starts. One things is for certain, you will also find that certain things trigger your spasms. Mine are triggered by going too long without drinking and eating, especially drinking, spicy food and sometimes fried food and also any type of NSAID medication (ie brufen). As I say  everyone seems to have different triggers and remedies, keeping a food diary and listing things that trigger yours and avoiding those foods / drinks is a good idea. I was also advised by GI doctor to take a daily magnesium supplement (not the laxative kind, the muscle relaxing kind) which helps relax my muscles and prevent spasms. I have found this to be extremely beneficial to me, but again, some folk notice no benefit from it. Finally I would say that as part of a forum that I am a member of various other medications seem to be prescribed to other folk which they say give them relief from spasms. I have heard nifedipine (which is also a calcium channel blocker used for heart issues) is also prescribed to be used by some folk and gives them relief although I have never had this mediation prescribed or tried it. Good luck, I hope you manage to find some relief! XX

• Posted

thank you so much for your detailed answer. I will try the cracker idea and also think about a magnesium supplement. My symptoms occur first thing in the morning, or the middle of the night. And so far occur regularly-every morning. I take a medication for it, but so far it hasnt helped.
  • Posted

Hi... I recall when I first had spasms I was suffering some life stress; only I didnt realise it at the time. In hindsight I honestly feel that if I had tried with real heart to remove the stress sources, then the spasms may not have developed.. Thats hindsight!

Ice cold water was best for me; agree re magnesium too... It may not be stress related for you; but de stressing can probably only be a good thing.. :0

Wishing you healthy karmasmile

N.

• Posted

thank you so much Neil. That is helpful. Last night I decided to watch comedy and eat foods I liked...instead of worrying so much about having an e.attack every morning. So this morning I woke up pain free. I realy enjoy talking to people on this forum esp. since doctors do not know how to reassure you.

​I also agree about stress...I had had a lot of cumulative stress since Novemeber until my visit to ER and diagnosis.

thank you for writing again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.