I've been diagnosed with Iliolumbar Ligament strain. Has anybody ever had this? Need advice please

Posted , 3 users are following.

I originally thought a previous L5/S1 disc bulge had returned and was pinching my sciatic nerve. However after a visit to my osteopath she told me the pain stabbing pain (lower back left side) is coming from inflamed Iliolumbar ligaments. I'm taking pain killers and using ice which gives me a small amount of relief but standing and walking is near impossible and after I have walked even just a few steps to the bathroom I'm in tears. The pain is excrutiating and pretty much debilitating. I'm also trying to look after my 2 children so any advice on how to recover from this would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You never mentioned a solution recommended? I would see a neurosurgeon who would most likely order an MRI, Xrays and possibly and mylegram. This type of radiology will pinpoint your problem. It appears however, that you have more than one thing going on. I too suffer with and L-5/S-1 issue and have a pending surgery. The procedure is called a foramenotomy. 

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering and I can relate to that pain you're experiencing. It's miserable. I just think you need more specific answers on how to address this issue. In the short term have you considered epidurals, chiropractic, or physica therapy?

I sincerely hope you get some answers and relief soon. Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi there, did your osteopath  give you a reason for iliolumbar ligament strain?  Its an unusual strain without a cause such as overstretching, over exercising abdominals without adequate stretching etc.  I also have disc bulges L5/S1 and L4/L5 and I have had issues with my iliolumbar ligaments feeling tight, knotted  and uncomfortable.  I was told this was symptomatic of disc bulges as everything obviously tightens up to compensate and there is general inflammation in the area, with me mostly all on my left side.  I take meloxicam for inflammation, stretch three times a day.  Your osteopath or a physical therapist should be able to show you an iliolumbar stretch but finding the cause of this strain is the most important thing. 
  • Posted

Some more history... 3 years ago I was in an RTA (hit in rear not my fault) this was the cause of my herniated disc. An MRI confirmed this and i had physio to sort it. 10 months later and i came off the pain medication and had good days and bad days but managed to return to some sort of normality. February of this year I had what I thought was a relapse. More pain meds etc and a visit to an osteopath. She examined me and said the disc was still intact so I was having muscle spasms. 12 weeks later I was just about to be discharged when again I had a spasm. This is what she has said is the Iliolumbar ligaments. I was sat on the floor with my kids and got up to answer the door and felt a twinge in my back, it was painful for 10 days but not unbearable then I had a spasm which has left me unable to stand or walk without ending up in tears from the pain. I've been given dihydracodene and diazepam but I still can't move without the awful pinching pain sensation in my back which then radiates to my groin, hip, thigh and outer knee

• Posted

Hi again, you have been through the mill and I feel for you I really do.  The frustration of recovering from your accident  and then having another injury  is extremely frustrating for you, not to mention the actual pain.  I have had issues with my back for 6 months and it drives me insane some days.  However that aside I can only tell you my experience and that is as I said, I have had issues with my iliolumbar ligament but it originates from my disc, I think.   I have lower back pain and tightness and it extends to my hips, pelvis, knees etc - usually all on one side.  I’m not sure that an osteopath can feel that your discs are intact as I was always led to believe that your discs are well protected in your spine and can’t easily be felt but I could be wrong.  I regularly visit a Bowen Therapist who is also a physio and he has been really helpful in explaining how our bodies respond to injury.  If I were you I would do as Glenn suggested and go to your doctor and ask for an mri to be sure it’s not your original disc issue flaring up as you want to treat the cause properly and I think that your muscle spasms and iliolumbar ligament tightness etc are symptoms.   Especially as you say you felt a twinge in your back when you got up but it calmed down after 10 days but then you had a spasm and things got worse.  It sounds very much to me like you’ve bulged or moved your disc and your muscles are going into protection mode to avoid further damage, hence the spasms and your iliolumbar ligaments are obviously involved in back movement and they are also trying to protect.  But hey I’m not a doctor and I know with my back everyone had advice and an opinion and you’re never sure who to listen to but if I were you I would definitely be questioning the opinion of the osteopath given your disc injury history.  Ask your gp about regular anti- inflammatorys too as they can be helpful.  I hope you get sorted and best of luck. 
    • Posted

I am going to my doctors tomorrow. I won't leave until he refers me for an MRI!! I know 'they' say rest is bad for back pain but I decided to spend the day in bed today and see if I could relax my muscles and maybe get walking again. I have to say standing and walking is a tad easier but still suffering when I sit down. I've n3ver heard of a Bowen therapist, but I will look one up near me.

Thanks for the responses, it helps to know that other people understand how much pain I'm in. xx

• Posted

I forgot to mention - Epsom salts baths helped me to relax muscles and Salonpas menthol patches too.  They are like big plasters you stick on and I put them anywhere on my back that was sore and it is a soothing cooling menthol sensation which then turns to a mild warmth.  All can be purchased on Amazon. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much I will try those. Anything for some relief!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.