I've been diagnosed with Lyme Disease and given 3 wks of doxycycline. Is this enough?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I felt like I had bitten by something on my foot and it was itchy for several days then calmed down. 12 days later I developed the classic bullseye rash and was diagnosed with Lyme Disease at my local A&E dept. They prescribed me 3 weeks of doxycycline which I am currently on day 5. I haven't had any symptoms at all (other than the rash) and don't feel ill at all, but after reading several things on the internet I'm worried that a 3 week antibiotic course will not be enough. Does anyone hv any info on this? I'm due an appt with my gp 2mor to pick up the remaining 2 wks prescription so would be grateful for any advice b4 hand. Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lesley,  I would ask for a co-infection test also.  A lot of people also get a co-infection (you can look them up on the internet), and doctors don't check for them.  The co-infections are just as important to get rid of and some LLMDs  (Lyme literate medical doctors) get rid of those first.  I live in Massachusetts and most doctors do not even recognize Chronic Lyme never mind co-infections.  I finally went to an LLMD in the next state and was diagnosed with Lyme and Babseosis then took a blood test was sent to California, the most accurate test for Lyme and co-infections and the doctor was right.  I am on many antibiotics and vitamins and supplements.  I've had it for about 10 years and have been diagnosed with fibro and cervical dystonia.  I wish you the best and hopefully your doctor is open to really curing you.

• Posted

Thank you very much for the advice. I will ask for the co infection test when I go to see the GP today. I just wonder as I haven't actually felt ill or had symptoms other than the rash that they may try to fob me off. Fingers crossed that they listen. Thank u.

• Posted

Hi Lesley

3 weeks doxycycline should be enough according to general opinion,

You had the bite and the rash ad were treated  withouy delay so it should be enough.

If you are un Uk then it is too soon  for testing  but   maybe arrange to have the test later.

• Posted

Lesley

If you have the test too soon then it may not show positive.

It takkes some weeks for antibodies/antigens to show. so I have heard.

if you are in uk then a Lyme test should eb sent to Porton down. Thes do not always show posoitive even if one actually has lyme or the co infections.

If you feel fine it might be because the infection was caught in time.

There is a very good chance that if antibiotics are given soon enough , for 3 weeks and in the right dosage then you will be cured.

If you begin to experience strange symptoms then you may need antibiotics for longer.

• Posted

Hi. Very sorry about your bite. Grateful you recognised the rash. 3 weeks of Doxy is **not** enough. 4 weeks is needed to prevent chronic borrelia which has over 20 subcategories of illness. Don't be afraid to advocate strongly for 4 weeks. Most GPs & PCMs are scared & clueless when it comes to Lyme & in doing so, they **do** great harm. Be well.

• Posted

Lesley,

Best take capi's advice and insist on 4 weeks antibiotic then,

If your condition changes and you become unwell  in any way then  insist on testing and further treatment.

What dosage are you on?

Also try and boost your immune systen by eating the right foods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.