I've been diagnosed with pre type 2 diebetes by post!! Need more advise

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I recently had blood tests and in the post received information that I'm in the danger zone for type 2 diabetes. It doesn't ask me to see anyone or anything just has some information to lose weight. That's fine as I know this is more likely the issue. But it says eat lots of fruit and vegetables. I have Google my butt off and can only see to avoid sugar. White cars and dried fruit and fat. But then I have people telling me absolutely do not eat lots of fruit. I'm so confused. I'm going to make an appointment on Monday to discuss things as I don't have any test figures etc... But I would love some food advise possible lists of best fruits etc even branded products that are safe in the UK for easy meals etc.. . Tia

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi @maggatron!  Hey, I know it's mystifying at first, but it comes out easy.  Well, sort of easy.  The general thing about diabetes is carbs.  Not which carbs, but how many carbs.  Any carb is really just a carb.  The trick is to get your meal down below a reasonable level.  Just exactly what level varies from person to person and time to time.  But the trick is to learn to count them (carbs).

It turns out fruit is generally OK, but fruit juice is not!  Go figure.  The reason is (to make a liar out of myself already!) that most fruit has enough fiber that it takes the body an hour or three to get it all out, while if it's already juiced it hits you all at once.  You want to avoid these sugar spikes to the body.  The spikes are bad on their own, and it's like they throw your body's regulators out of whack too, so soon things go crazy.  When I was diagnosed (with full-blown type2 diabetes) my endocrinologist set me a limit of 60 to 75 carbs per *meal*.  That's pretty high, but it's been working for me.  Others might try to go 60 carbs per *day*, and some people go the "keto" diet route and get below about 20 per day - or even zero!

Meat, and most greens, and most cheeses, rate as zero carbs.

And that's really all you need to know.  You can eat pretty much anything, in moderation, though avoiding quick sugars, white bread, and white rice, are a good idea (that's called the "glycemic index", indicating how quickly they hit you).

But wait, there's more!  Two things, really.  First: exercise!  Get out and walk two to five miles per day.  That will improve your numbers IMMEDIATELY.  This is not the good old advice, "Exercise, it pays off eventually."  Exercise clears out "insulin resistance" in your body and it does it today and it does it NOW!  And doctors seldom make this as clear as I'm trying to do here.

And the last thing is, go get one of the blood glucose meters.  They usually don't prescribe them so the government pays, until you're fully diabetic, but that's pretty dumb isn't it?  At least in the US you can buy them pretty cheap, though the strips that are used cost a few cents each and it can add up.  Then you can test your blood glucose numbers a few times a day, I start with before each meal (oh btw: eat three meals every day, is the standard advice), but if those numbers are dubious then testing one and two hours after each meal gives you more info, too.

Hope that helps!

In summary, no more eating a whole pizza or too much birthday cake.  And: WALK!

• Posted

Hi:

I was diagnosed type 2 in 2015.  Ever since I have done all kinds of research as to why I would become diabetic since we have no diabetes in our family.  I came to the conclusion that I may have caused my own diabetes.  Around 2011, I started having bad digestive burning and reflux and started "treating" it by putting out the fire with carbs, all the time.  Cookies, chips, bread, whatever.  And lots of diet soda.

Now to my solution.  I have found that I can help my pancreas re-learn what is normal glucose levels.  I do this by having 3 regular type meals 3 times a day, with no snacking in between. Only water.  Heres the hard part.  You have to go 3 hours between meals.  That allows your body to process the food and allows the body to absorb the glucose and use up all free insulin in the blood stream.  It would be good to have a glucose meter so you can monitor and record your progress.  Write down what you ate for each meal and how your body reacted.  After 3 hours I am usually in the 80 to 95 range.  Which is normal.  And my glucose does not spike up high, like 250, when I was first diagnosed. Now, it may go up to 180 after a meal.   I am anxious for my next A!C test, as I think it will be very good. 

Remember doctors will treat your diabetes with drugs, for years, until you finally go full blown type 1, then you need insulin shots.  It is best to work with your body and use knowledge to your benefit. 

Ask any questions you need.  John

• Posted

Also, I have found that glucose meters are not very consistent.   I tried 4 different ones until I found one that is very accurate.  By very accurate I mean you can test with 2 different strips and it comes up with the same number.  Some meters I tried varied by 30 points with the same drop of blood.  The most accurate one is called true test, but it is discontinued and I have to buy the strips on ebay. 
    • Posted

Another interesting fact I learned recently, is that artificial sweeteners may also lead to diabetes.  As soon as they touch your tongue, the pancreas reacts by sending out insulin to deal with the 'sugar'.  But the insulin is not used, it just floats in the blood stream.  The cells respond by shutting the door to the insulin since there is no glucose to allow in.  Cells only allow a glucose molecule in if it is accompanied by an insulin molecule.  A1A  tests count how many glucose molecules are attached to the blood cells.  Glucose that was not allowed into the cells.  It measures insulin resistance.  Sorry, for all the facts.  But, knowledge is power.  Right?

• Posted

The meters are always a question, but I seem to have been having pretty good luck with mine, the results are consistent from day to day, even when they vary during the day.

I've been using the Contour Next EZ, it's not the cheapest it seems to have been doing a good job for me. I'm told that the one that is cheapest, sold by Walmart in the US, is actually pretty good too.

None of this is exact, not even doctor and hospital tests, that's just part of the fun.

• Posted

I would avoid junk food but like anything else it's about balance. I have type 2 so I know how difficult it is to keep a decent diet. Make sure you do plenty of walking because that will help with your blood sugar levels.

• Posted

Hi Maggatron, start by doing some research on diet for diabetes. You have a great opportunity to improve your health before you have big problems.

My mother has done quite well on a modified Paleo/ gluten free diet. A lot of people find the keto diet to be helpful.

You’ll want to reduce your processed foods and processed sugar intake. You’ll also want to research carb counting and learn how to reduce your carb intake, as well as learn about glycemic index. Fruits and fruit juice contain a lot of sugar, so you’ll need to minimize your fruits. Generally (for fruit) berries are low on the glycemic index, while bananas are high, for example. So go for the berries. You’ll also want to make sure your foods are low fat.

Really the goal is to keep your blood sugar stable and low by modifying your diet. 

Exercise also helps keep blood sugar stable.

• Posted

As you especially want some food advise regarding type 2 diabetes. Home remedies are the best option to manage the diabetes, it is easily available and safe. Some lifestyle changes can also boost your glucose regulation. I have gone through an excellent article entitled “Home Remedies for Diabetes” at zovon.
    • Posted

I use natural berberine (aka goldenseal) for my mother. I use a tablespoon in a quart jar of water and keep it in the refrigerator. No need to heat. You can buy it in bulk any Chinese herb store. When my mother was first diagnosed, i gave her a combination of citrus bergamont with berberine , both in capsule  form. This along with a strict diet (lowfat organic gluten free paleo, limited fruit)  got her off the meds in less than six months. Quite the miracle story. As time went on, I dropped the citrus bergamont and switched her to the natural liquid berberine. It tastes bad, but 1/4 cup at each meal along with glutenfree Paleo diet and limited fruits stabilizes blood sugar. For the first six months her starches were limited to two small pieces a glutenfree bread per day, and fruits were limited to two small servings a day, such as a half an apple or a handful if berries.

Keep in mind, I say Paleo, but my mother is quite elderly and had difficulty eating due to her mamy medical conditions, so I did modified Paleo and often used plain yogurt, cottage cheese, light cheese, or protein powder smoothies because she was unable to chew much. Instead of milk, she drinks almond milk.

If you have a sweet tooth, let go of cheating and the idea of eating junk. It just isn't worth  it. Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels! Eat lots of leafy green veggies!

White kidney bean extract will also help stabilize your blood sugar if you accidentally have a little yoo much starches.

I can only say what worked for my mother. For her, she was in such bad shape that she was dependant on me for her meals and had no choice in the matter, she was unable to cheat, as there were no sweet foods other than limited fruit in the house, only glutenfree bread. A treat is toasted glutenfree raisin bread with almond butter. 

• Posted

Hi peeps,been up all night worrying, unsettled itchy feet and health anxiety going through the roof...

So last week I was called back into the doctors, my heart went through the roof,  I have been told that I am in the pre diabetes range, and my score chart was 46, he told me that I was 2 points away from 48 which is type 2 diabetes... I’m a huge worrier, I drinks beer so I know I need to cut that out.... I’m 36 year old mail approx 14 stone with a bit of a flabby belly...

My question is how rapidly can this progress to point 48 and what can I do to prevent it.... 

Please any help is appreciated.... 

• Posted

Hi Sean!  How fast can it progress?  Fast!  Can get worse fast, can get better fast!  When you catch it early you can often enough stop and reduce it, and it's relatively easy - as long as it stays type2 of course there's also late-developing type1 but that's another story.

What you do is (a) learn to count carbs in your diet and keep your meals down to a reasonable limit, (b) get daily exercise as that improves your numbers IMMEDIATELY and not six months downstream, and if you want more, (c) get a blood glucose meter so you can see your numbers every day.

If you need to lose some weight generally doing so also helps - and the above steps will help you.

Nothing to panic about at this point, just some dietary rules to learn and get out and get some more exercise!  Now!  Go for a walk, now! smile

Good luck.

• Posted

hey maggatron

I have seen ur post. me and my sister as an medical student. she wrote about full diabetes and and diabetes 2 in this blog. 

<a href="https://healthpiller.com/diabetes/">if u want to know really something informative then check it out</a>

thanks 

Mark Potter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.