I've been diagnosed with wpw.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have recently been told i have wpw and since i saw the cardiology consultant and he told me what was involved it scared me to death. He also said if you feel dizzy go to the hospital which i have done. Could anyone tell me if this is a common side affect of wpw.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes it is and don't freak yourself out. Anxiety just makes things worse. Speak to your cardiologist and figure out the best option. There is a cure for this ?

• Posted

Hi thanks for the info I've been feeling dizzy now for about a week but they won't do anything until I've had a ct scan. But that's almost3 weeks away im cracking up.

• Posted

Wpw can be a bugger to live with until under control. Ablation may sort it out or they may use drugs eg flecainide. The antiarrythmic drugs are good and keep it under control, that's said based on 19 years on flecainide (one unsuccessful ablation attempt). Doesn't stop symptoms completely as you can feel tachycardia starting, but normally drugs prevent tachycardia from becoming more than a small flutter rather than the knock you flat racing. Don't be too worried the cardiologists are experienced in it and know what they are doing.

You are going through the worst of it now, it gets easier to live with once the treatment is under way.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with WPW when I was about 13, I had a successful abaltion surgery. Common side effects for me were rapid or fluttering heart beat, light headedness, and short of breath. I found that one trigger was  caffeine, other times im not sure what triggered it. I have been diagnosed with WPW again, and would be happy to get ablation surgery again if it’s an option it really seemed to help me. Best of luck! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.