I've been dieting since August 2019 and losing my mind.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with PCOS last year because I was having difficulty losing weight, the endocrinologist put me on 1500mg of Metformin to help. I am 23 if that helps.

I have been eating healthy the best I can (I have some intolerances that make me poorly sometimes), I don't eat junk apart from the occasional bit of chocolate and I drink plenty of water. I have a lot of will power when it comes to not eating the bad stuff. I walk everywhere unless it's to work and I was going to the gym for months last year before I had issues with my legs, I am looking to go back once the gyms have reopened (lockdown). I was doing what I could to lose weight and the metformin was supposed to help.

I have lost no weight and I've gained some instead, I have more weight than I did before I was diagnosed. Due to lockdown I've not had my next appointment with the endocrinologist and I really need help, this is all really getting to me and I feel fed up.

Has anyone had issues with Metformin? What has helped you lose weight with PCOS? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I should be doing that I am not?

I am scared I will become diabetic.

TIA x

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

what helps with losing weight with PCOS is giving up sugar and alcohol and sticking to a low gi diet with 1800 calories a day. Avoid trans fats too. Always check sugar content in everything you eat, a lot of diet products have sugar in. Avoid smoothies and fruit juices they can have a lot of sugar in. Only eat 1 sweet fruit a day, get the rest of your 5 a day from vegetables and salad.

My main thing that affects my weight is sugar and alcohol, I find it easy to avoid sugar but harder to avoid red wine. When I stop drinking the weight falls off me when I start again it comes back on. With you it may be the chocolate you eat, try giving up sugar altogether and check sugar content in everything because you would be surprised where you can find it. It is in pasta sauces, baked beans, condiments, ready meals, some dairy products, etc. If I give up dairy that can help my weight as well and it also clears my skin up when I do. you should eat every 3 hours to keep your blood sugar levels even but you don't have to eat much each time so in between breakfast and lunch, have a handful of nuts and between lunch and dinner have an apple or some carrot sticks/celery sticks and houmous. Drink green tea as well,that is good for your metabolism.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.