I've been entitled to servere disability premium

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been entitled to servere disability premium for the last 3 years and only just found out would I be able to have it backdated? Thank you

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jay

as far as I know if you have been entitled to it the whole time-you can have it backdated to when it should of first started , I have heard of people getting a lot of money from this.

I would ring the dwp and ask them or CAB.

• Posted

Hi. - as far as I know, apart from a couple of exceptions, such as pension credit, a claim for benefit can only be backdated to the date you made the claim.  People HAVE ended up with large sums of money, but this is only where the DWP have taken a long time to make a decision, and have paid the claimant arrears from the date they made the initial claim.  regardless  For example, if you made a claim for PiP and it took the DWP six months

to assess you and make the decision, whatever award you end up with would be backdated six months to the date you made the claim.  With be efits such as pension credit, they will backdate three months from the date of the claim, providing the circumstances have existed for this long. SDP may be one of these benefits but you'd need to check

• Posted

Not for three years you wouldn't.  Make a claim as soon as you can, because it takes a little while for the DWP to process, and they will backdate  it to the date you made the claim.  Some premiums can be backdated for three months if the circumstances have existed for this amount of time before the claim, but not sure if this applies to SDP.  There used to be the same prospective test for SDP as for DLA and now PIP - in other words you have to have had the condition for at least three months and be expected to have it for a further twelve months.  Again, not sure if this is the case for SDP, but the DWP will tell you. 

• Posted

Ok thank you do you know if esa is classed as a disability benefit? Thank you.
    • Posted

It's not strictly a disability benefit. It replaced incapacity benefit and is in payment for people unable to work because of sickness. It is taxable whereas disability benefits like, DLA, AA and PIP are not.  ESA is also taken into account when claiMing other benefits, disability benefits are not. Hope this clarifies.

• Posted

Ok thank you so much it is just because I think I have been entitled to SDP for a while but the only query is that I live with my father but he's not well and on esa and it says you can get SDP only if your close relative recieved a disability benefit so don't think I'm entitled to it unless I live on my own. Thanks

• Posted

Can your father not claim PIP or AA if he is over 65 ? Any level of award of this would probably qualify.
  • Posted

Hi jay, in a word yes. iv'e just done myself. Although mine was not for years it was backdated to october 2015.

But no matter when they vback date it to it will be a lmp sum and an extra £61.85 a week.

• Posted

Hi gill

yeah I thought you could I've heard of people getting a lot of back pay going back years because they wasn't told about it.

glad you got yours in the end.

• Posted

Hi nicolette, yeah it's not good practise is it, but they're saving a fortune by not telling people.Hopefully jay will get it all backdated like i did.

I can buy my new scooter outright now without having to get a loan so i'm really happy.

• Posted

Yeah but jay just said he had his father living with him so I don't think he qualifies anyway.

Don't you have to live alone with no nondependents unless they are disabled too, I think this is the case?

• Posted

i think if his dad is claiming a qualifying benefit then it doesn't affect jay. i'm not sure though, but if he fills in the is10 form and sends it back then if he qualifies then he'll get it, if he doesn't then he wont.

Just have to try i guess. 

• Posted

I think the limit is 1 month, used to be 3 months but old George Osbourne saw to that a few years ago,
    • Posted

it's neither now, i got mine backdated to last october and i was paid mine last week.

• Posted

I'm following this one with interest as i'm supposidly eligible but dont know the differencebetween SEVERE OR ENHANCED

• Posted

you get enhanced automatically when you are granted esa support group, but the severe disability prmium has a different criteria. so you have to ask for the SDP seperately with an is10 form.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.