I've been feeling dizzy/lightheaded these past few weeks and I'm afraid of passing out

Posted , 15 users are following.

I'm a 16 year old female and last month I had really dizzy spells that didn't stop for like a full week, I felt like I couldn't walk due to lack of balance and I was in bed most of the time. I even had a panic attack because I genuinely thought I was going to faint. So I went to the doctors and they did some blood tests and they said I was fine. Then I started school three weeks ago and randomly in class I started feeling dizzy and it's not as bad as it was a month ago but it's still pretty horrible and sometimes I panic a little, I get pretty uncomfortable and it's hard for me to concentrate on anything else, I just sit there hoping for class to be over as soon as possible.

Yesterday it escalated to a full panic attack and I was shaking and I had to leave the classroom, but as soon as I got out I felt alright. This dizziness/lightheadedness appears totally out of the blue, I could not even be thinking of it and there, I feel dizzy. And this could happen one day but the next I could be totally fine. But this morning I woke up feeling a bit dizzy but I wasn't panicking at all. Although I just came back from a walk on the beach with my mum and as we were walking I started to feel dizzy and faint.

It feels like I'm lightheaded and my knees are going to cave in along with a slight headache at times but my vision never blurs or anything, I just see a few eye floaters. Sometimes it's accompanied but a slight headache. And I've never actually passed out from it. This is the first time this has ever happened, I drink loads of water and I think I eat pretty well. I have no idea what it is of what to do, and it's interfering with my life, I didn't go to school today because of it. Please help, thank you.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Look up Silent Migraine ,with auras this sounds like it to me . Read up see if it registers with how you are .Lots have it and don't know .
  • Posted

Did the doctor say what it might be could be Migraines hope you start to feel better soon and you must discuss how you feel with your family it helps to know you have their support when you are feeling like this hope this helps

• Posted

i'm also suffering from this month ago i had all the type of tests and all came normal i went to chiropractic clinic they did my neck massage and i feel very better.
  • Posted

Hi, Ben here.

I am sorry this is happening to you at such a young age.  You have every right to feel overwhelmed because you have not had enough time to experience many things yet and so you can't have the perspective an older person may have.  But as you live on you will gain a better understanding of things like this when they strike.  Please do not despair, being younger, your body is much more supple and you can recover much more quickly and to a higher degree of recovery than older folks.  But, as I said, your young age is not helping you cope with this due to lack of experience.  

I would offere you this :Please read the previous threads.  There are exercises and discussion that can help you get the best of your time spent recovering.  And remember that the stimulation of doing anything, beit walking or attending a class or anything at all, presents a competition for you brain as it is trying to relearn what it already once knew, so that is why you feel like it is so overwhelming.  Our bodies are full up of detective and protective mechanisms that we use every minute of everyday to manover about our worlds, and the influence of an off-pace signal can be a very big deal for our bodies to cope with especially when you are young learning so many new things already.  Keep a relentless positive mental attitude.  You will recover and the more you read and talk about this illness, the more you will understand and be able to cope with it.  Read about the exercises and durgs, and remember not to over do it, working with it until it becomes well understood and then you will not be affected by it so much.  

Hope this helps.

Ben

• Posted

Please go back and see your GP and ask for a referral for ENT otherwise this can be passed off as nothing to worry about but don't be fobbed off, you need to be taken seriously.  When i first started getting this dizziness my legs felt so weak i also felt like they were going to cave in.  I think it was all part of the initial anxiety when i first started witht he problem.  Best wishes that you get a positive outcome and wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi laddi.  I know how you feel and I feel

for you , being so young. I started getting panic

attacks when I was 15. Still dealing with that 

and more. We don't know what this is but

stay in touch here and we will support 

each other. It's horrible , we know. I get lightheaded all day long. Even looking at my dresser or bed or the table , looks like they are swaying back and forth. Annoying. Strange thing too....after I eat I feel lightheaded too and my heart starts to race. I don't know what that's all about. Hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

i know it's been three years and you probably won't check this but what did you do to stop it. i have been feeling that way for over a week and i've had many panic attacks but idk what to do

• Posted

Do you have a school nurse because as others have said you a young woman - you are probably not alone what you experiencing. They are used to dealing with teenage girls (and boys) I am sure the nurse might be more understaninding than your docotor. Not only that you don't want this to affect your studies. These are just some suggestions and I am not saying anything in opposition to the other replies.
  • Posted

Did the doctor check your thyroid and vitamin d levels? Details of these levels aren’t always included in normal blood work.  Also being a female, consider whether or not these episodes happen during near or around your month cycle. Hope you figure out what's causing you trouble so you can focus at school again. 
  • Posted

Im 15 and ive been getting these persistantly for about 2 or 3 weeks and they dont go half of the time and my grades are getting worse because of it. Im no were near restarting my monthly so i dont know why its happening. It makes me really dizzy and light headed and i cant see properly and my legs become really weak so i have to lean on something and someone.

• Posted

Did you ever figure out the problem? Cause your story sound the exact same as mine. It would be great if you could help me.
    • Posted

Hi, sorry if this is a late reply. But yes I figured it out. I was diagnosed with anxiety, severe panic disorder and it got to a point where I was agoraphobic. I hope this helped! 
  • Posted

I feel the same. Doctor said it was sinus infection... could this be true. I panic and I don't like that feeling at all. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.