I've been for an ultrasound and things haven't gone well, I'm worried and need some advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

so today i went for an ultra sound due to having serious pain, whilst having the internal examination, there were small masses on my left ovary that were full of liquid but the main problem was my right ovary. whilst trying to locate it i was in extreme pain, they said that my right ovary is significantly higher and they were unable to access it due to the amount of pain and restriction. what does this mean now? im worried becasue there is clearly an issue with my right ovary ( my gp said it was bulky only on that side). please help me, im only 20 years old and this is something that im extremely worried about!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey hun, firstly....CHILL! you're already doing the right thing, you're being looked at! I had mine discovered almost 4years ago now. I was in agony, thought I had a hernia from a chest infection. They have me an ultrasound and an internal and even the doctors freaked out! I'm 6ft size 10, so really slim and willowy in build. They found a huge Dermoid Cyst wrapped arund my right ovary. 3 weeks later, they operated and removed a 5 1/2 kilo mass along with my ovary. I'm quite the celebrity lol! Get in and get all the help they offer! most importantly ask all the questions you have, especially because of your age. I understand completely! I discovered that although I had my right ovary removed, my left ovary actually became (super powered) because it took on everything the other ovary had too! So I can still have kids. That is something you need to discuss with your consultant. You are young and strong and there is an extremely low reaccurrance of this. IT IS NOT CANCER!!!! That is the most important thing to remeber! I even got pictures of mine! Please contact me if you need to chat babe 07706948437.

Dominique

• Posted

hi, mine was removed last july 2015 along with my right ovary it was open laparotomy due to its size, its like having a c-section. The cyst gradually increased from 7cm to 17cm from a span of 6 months only. i look 5 months pregnant. i was so worried. They tooked my CA125,which was my bone chilling experience, i cried and cried waiting for the result, and glad it came back normal. i thought it was the end of the world. Im happy that my husband is supportive of me. We have 2 kids at that time, and now with my right ovary remaining, i didnt expect that i got pregnant right now with my 3rd, im 32 weeks along...Please have hope, listen to your body. I know how it feels and its not easy, especially if you think about the C word...about 80 percent of women have this one so its common. Hoping the best for you dear. -Dory-
    • Posted

i mean left ovary remaining... sorry. lol. Have hope dear... hugs xx.
    • Posted

Babes, I'm with you! Mine grew to 19cm, 5 1/2 kilos! got a 10 inch scar but I'm here now, well, able to have kids still @ 38 years of age! I called mine BOB, I even got pictures lol! It acts like cancer, looks like cancer BUT IT IS NOT CANCER! Nice one babe! Stay well x
  • Posted

Hi Kathryn - I'm so sorry you're going thru this so young...but that's some good news - the younger you are, the faster you'll recover. Of course, that helps NONE now, I know sad

What did the ultrasound tech tell you with regards to when the OB/GYN will follow up with you? When is your next appointment? Did they give you pain medication?

I have a history of Endo and Cysts and I can tell you that the two combined can feel like agony. I was just sure I had some form of cancer, but thankfully, I did not. The pain you're having may or may not be from a cyst or a group of cysts or any number of other possibilities. But don't assume it's something terribly ugly or will necessarily even need surgery.

If I were you, I'd want a plan of action in place. Was this U/S ordered by your OB/GYN or an ER doc or your primary care provider? You really do need referral to OB if you aren't alredy seeing one (preferably an OB who is also a surgeon - just in case). The next step should be a follow up appt with an experienced, well respected OB who can discuss the scan results, check in re: how your feeling and the next step. In the meantime, I do hope they prescribed something to keep you as comfortable as possible. I can remember taking lots of warm baths when I'd have a cyst burst on me -- it was very painful. Stay on pain medication as needed, try to get as much rest as you can and be proactive about your treatment -- follow up with your doctors. If you do not like the doctor that is curretnly treating you, or you feel like you're not getting adequate treatment or answers about your condition, do seek a second opinion (Doctors are just people...you have to trust your Doctor to feel secure in their care).

If you start running a  fever or begin having trouble urinating, don't hesitate to call your doctor immediately.

Good luck, Kathryn.

**I am NOT a Doctor! Just a patient with similar conditions - it's nice to have others to compare symptoms with for ideas but you should always rely on the advice of a Doctor over what anyone on the internet tells you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.