I've been having a pain for awhile now, which pill would you recommend me?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! My name is Melissa, and i've been diagnosed with spondylolesteses. My doctor from Ottawa, and some doctors from US, told me that i was the worst case seen in Canada and USA. They told me I was a grade 10 even if it doesn't exists. I now have neural pain, and serious back pain. I'm a cashier, and a teenager which isin't easy at all. I live on my own and have to clean, do laundry and provide for myself and my  boyfriend. Which pills would you recommend me to ask my doctor for? I've tried Tylenols, advils, but nothing seem to do the job. One of my family members had some prescribed oxyconden, and worked perfectly! I just want your opinions, at this point, i'll pretty much do anything! Thanks for reading/writing to me! smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melissa07, I am not sure of the different names of medications in Canada or the USA, but if you don't want to rely on tablets, I would ask your Doctor for pain patches. There are several different ones available, bupronorphine, fentanyl, and others. I find they work better than tablets and they don't become addictive.

I hope this helps. Good luck, Sandrog 

• Posted

Melissa, I have spondilolisthesis, lumber 4/5, but find as long as I sleep in the right beds, sit in the right chairs and don't do anything simple like going over on an ankle, it is fairly stable.  On the rare occasion that it does spasm, as long as it isn't too bad that it stops me from even standing, I don a support girdle which relieves it in just a couple of days.  When it was originally diagnosed, the consultant arranged for me to be measured for a proper boned and laced corset, but that was years ago and it doesn't go round me any more due to changing shape with age.  Whereas some doctors had suggested I had spinal fusion and a disc removed, the final consultant I saw at my request privately (an orthopaedic surgeon) said although it was an extreme case in that, in his words, "you would be able to balance a pint on it" (I assume he meant the way it had caused my right hip to protrude outwards), he didn't recommend the surgery because it was major.  However, I do know of people who have had it with success.  I'm surprised if your doctors have told you "it was the worst case seen in Canada and USA", but not advised you regards possible surgery, corsetry etc to relieve you of that pain.  Taking painkillers may help with the pain but they aren't a long-term cure, and taking them continuously long-term can bring their own problems - for instance, taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as Ibuprofen can affect the kidneys and liver long term.

I hope this is of some help and do wish you well, especially as you are so young

• Posted

hi melisa my name is graham and im from london uk im not sure if you can get these in the us but tramadol or slow release morphine tablets might help all the best graham
  • Posted

Melissa; I have spondylolisthesis, too. It's degenerative a conditiion. There are NO painkillers that will work in the long term.Trust me; I've tried them all. Now taking max dose of Co-codamol. Doesn't help.  Now have added misery of tennis elbow

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.