I've been having acute urinary retention.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I'm a 24 year old female. I havent been able to fully empty my bladder on my own or i just go two or so days without urinating. I have to really push or strain for even a little bit to come out and its too much pushing on my body. It hurts but it doesnt burn or hurt coming out even if its drops. I cant get a flow to start. Its been going on for a few weeks. i've been constipated too but i'm managing to go that going way more now. The doctors are taking too long to help me. I feel pain on my sides a lot back and abdomen a bit its hard to pin point why this is happening. The doctors didn't do necessary tests i wanted as soon as possible. i still have some tests I'm going to need to get done next week. I'm prescribed for the moment bethanechol chloride 25mg. This is to help me go. Levofloxacin 500 mg. This is to treat infection. Tamsulosin .4 mg which is to help for kidney stones and to help go as well. Ive been seeing a urologist its just i need help as soon as possible to manage to walk around not feeling nausea or like i can barely walk. Every doctor and person has been mistreating me. They end up doing unnecessary tests on other people but for me it takes a long time so they can just read or do a test. Ive been in a foley catheter for 5 days and they took it out i still had problems going. Now im doing self catheterization and its hard also painful. I been avoiding it. until i feel really bad and i need to empty myself. Im just begging at this point to have an answer. Could someone please help me. I have important things to do i cant be like this. This is the first time in my life this is happening. if anyone has advice for pain or detox or meal recommendations or anything at all i beg. This is just an ongoing nightmare where i dont have a solution yet. If someone knows if another person could inflict this on someone let me know. Anything i seriously don't know what to think anymore.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you had a cystoscopy or a scan or ultrasound of your bladder? What are the tests you wanted? what tests are you having done next week.?

This does sound very distressing for you. The usual cause of urinary retention in a female is an infection in the bladder so you must take the antibiotics as instructed and make sure you complete the course. You mention kidney stones...has that been confirmed by scan?

I am guessing you are not in UK?

• Posted

I have to wait a week for the cystoscopy. its next saturday i dont know what they could find i hope they just give me a cure right away. They did an ultrasound of my whole abdomen kidneys and bladder but the doctor hasn't seen it yet. im trying to get the results transfered to another doctor since this one only visits his office once a month. i at least wanted a CT scan or something to properly look at everything or something to give a reason and better understanding how to beat this. also thursday next week i have a bladder check i forgot the name of the test. yes im taking them and hoping something works or happens well. i just ended up looking up the medication causes and what the doctor suspected is what i ended up saying its just theres a lot of clients and when you have psych history doctors dont try to do whats necessary. No im not in the UK im in the US .

• Posted

You mentioned constipation. That can actually cause urinary retention if a hardened stool in the intestine presses against the urethra, so I would work to get that under control as a starter. A high fiber diet long-term, and short term, take fiber supplements such as Metamucil will help.

• Posted

Yes that is true, I have managed to get that more under control now. I have been taking supplements for it. Honestly I just hate using this self catheter and the next test I have is too far away. I don't really know how many times a day is really needed to go so my kidneys stay alright. The last time I saw the doctor she started to talk to me about dialysis and honestly it got me nervous. Why would you start talking to someone about that??!! She spoke about an analogy about the faucet balloon and water like what happens when you don't go often. I've been going once a day with the catheter or just skipping. It's like when I empty I'm in pain and when i don't i still am as well. I'm already going through my own pain and it's not like they're giving me anything or trying so hard to find a solution. She said it's normal the pain and just continue taking Tylenol tho it doesn't do much. They enjoy taking their time and I just want this gone and to end. I just don't know what to do anymore. I just feel more depressed at this point. I have been more out of breath tired and not able to walk as well from it all. I don't even know when I am full anymore.

• Posted

When I did the cystoscopy my bladder was full and I couldn't even go after. I don't know if that causes a problem to if the doctor can see anything or not? The doctor also kept talking about drugs being the cause of this. Which is really stupid. Ive been on medications and such. I just want it to stop. The next test on the 27 and I cannot wait that long. I don't believe they're taking me seriously I had to already change doctors I don't know if I'm going to need to do it again. I just hate doctors. If only doctor house were real at this point.

• Posted

hello, did you ever get a diagnosis? i am going through something similar and cannot find any information and im losing hope. hope you are doing better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.