I've been having EXTREME anxiety and hypochondria 24/7, what can i do to stop it?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, i'm really in need of help. i'm an 18 year old male who has never had any health problems besides a few syncopes. after smoking weed a month ago (i have done it many times prior) i have been having extreme anxiety, and i mean extreme. after smoking i thought i had something stuck in my throat or windpipe, so i went to the emergency room and they said it was a panic attack. i never had one prior to that. after leaving the hospital i still felt anxious, and i still do today. the next 5 days after that i was in and out of the hospital with different symptoms each time, once with chest pain, another with throat pain, once where i thought i couldnt breathe. each time they said it was a panic attack. but i didn't believe it. how could i suddenly be getting panic attacks and how can they feel so real? i've also been getting acid reflux which ive never had before. a lot of times i feel like i get something stuck in my throat and it drives me crazy and i get panic attacks every time. i have physical symptoms 24/7 even when i think i'm not anxious. right now my throat feels tight and like i have something in it. but in reality, i swallowed a dry piece of cereal and it probably just scratched my esophagus. a week ago i started having an itchy, sticky feeling in one eye, went to the dr said it was allergic conjunctivitis, its still there and i've been thinking it has something to do with this lump on my eye that's been there for years. my mind is always racing and i constantly check my pulse. when im eating i fear that ill accidently inhale my food so i haven't been eating much. this is extremely ridiculous i know. i've never been like this before. it usually gets worse at night and i usually fall asleep at like 6 or 7 am from all the stress. my throat is hurting right now and im getting nervous. this seems like and endless cycle and i regret smoking that weed and i don't think i'll ever smoke again. any help would be GREATLY appreciated! 

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

If you only "think" you'll never smoke it again,you obviously haven't learned the lesson. You can't ask for help while at the same time playing Russian roulette with your mental health. It's very much up to you

• Posted

what do you mean? please help me understand. 
  • Posted

Hi there,

What you are going through does sound very much like anxiety. My brother is going through similar (as have I in the past but I never smoked weed). The thing about smoking weed for prolonged periods of time is that it causes anxiety, and even depression. It plays havoc with mental health. Simply google weed and anxiety to read some of the studies and findings. So first, cut it out, don't smoke it again. This won't make your anxiety disappear but it's a start to getting better.

The symptoms you described are very much panic attack/ anxiety related symptoms. The chest pain, the throat stuff. Try to accept your anxiety and treat it as such. Once you accept it you will stop focusing on every other illness you think it might be. It's worth going to your doctor and discussing your options.

I know how awful it is to live with anxiety and health anxiety. Hope you get relief soon.

• Posted

I stopped smoking weed after my family put me in a foster home at 17 because they decided they didn't want to take care of me, when I got out and smoked I had bad panic attacks. Stop smoking lol

• Posted

Hi Riven...

Well its all related to panic attack and anxiety...I did not belive it in the beginning same as u but by time there was not other explanation...cause all my check up were just fine...I visited more then 6 doct...I had this throat problem for more then 2 months...like something was stuck inside...and after some time I felt my eyes burning and itchy as well...so manyyy symptoms if I count I would not finish...and without a short treatment I could not deal with it just with meditation and going out to keep busy my mind...by time I got worse...thats why in my opinion u better check up with a good doctor...and u might use for 10 days clonazepam..it really helps u but its just for short term use...if it doesnt go within these 10 days i better check for a longer treatment. ..as per my case I had to take prozac for 4 months...

Hope u will be ok soon..

• Edited

Hi Riven, sounds alot like CHS. CHS is actually a poorly diagnosed symdrome usually caused by overusing Marijuana. Acid reflux like GERD may happend to you and constipation. Do you sometimes feel sharp pain in your chest? I understood this because I went exactly through the same symptoms as you did. I was very confused too. I kept searching on the internet to see what it was and was actually believing in some symptoms. I noticed this often happends when I smoked weed and gets better usually the day. You can use pepcids to help with stomach reflux which is a abdominal feeling at the top of ur abdomen. And then you lose your appetite usually after when you eat something.

• Edited

hi, i dont know if you will see this as it has been six years but i thought i would try my luck.

everything you wrote is exactly how i feel right now. i wanted to know how you are doing now. it might help me.

• Posted

i experienced exactly this 2 years ago after suffering with panic attacks for the first time, i developed that feeling of something stuck in my throat, it scared the s**t out of me, i barely ate for weeks, i done the same as you and went to the hospital and they took an xray and saud there was nothing there, i now understand it to be globus sensation and its due to muscle tension because your so tense snd anxious, my heart goes out to you it was a very devastating time for me as im sure it is for you, i promise you though it will bring you no harm and youll eventually wake up without it one day, i found drinking water helped remind me there was nothing there, it will go away in its own time, i suffered with reflux aswell there is a possible link between the two, try taking some omeprazole plenty of water and work on therapies to help you relax, if you can release the tension in your body it will ease, mine comes and goes now when im atressed but it doesnt scare me anymore because i know its harmless, i hope you this starts to ease for you soon x

• Edited

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through such a difficult time. It sounds like you're experiencing a lot of physical and psychological symptoms that are causing you a lot of distress. It's important to remember that you're not alone, and that many people experience similar symptoms after smoking marijuana or after experiencing panic attacks.

It may be helpful for you to consult with a mental health professional, such as a psychologist or a therapist, who can help you work through these symptoms and develop strategies to manage your anxiety. They can also help you determine if there are any underlying medical conditions that may be contributing to your symptoms.

In the meantime, it may be helpful to practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or progressive muscle relaxation, to help reduce your anxiety. It may also be helpful to engage in physical activity, like going for a walk or doing yoga, to help improve your overall physical and mental well-being.

Please don't hesitate to reach out for help if you need it. There are many resources available, including hotlines and support groups, that can provide you with additional support and guidance.

• Posted

Hey man... i just wanna start out by saying that i relate to your experience and that im sorry that this is happening to you. I recently quit taking edibles and i've been experiencing something similar to you. I hope that just knowing you're not going through the motions alone is relieving. Right before i decided to quit i discovered a lump in my breast. Im only 21 i have no family history no symptoms and my recent scans came back clean but i cant help but worry about the chances of cancer. I went to an urgent care a few days ago for an enlarged tonsil worried that the cancer i dont have has spread. The doctor basically told me i was crazy and sent me home. Weed is a very underestimated drug and this is not your fault. You should be applauded for quitting and feel healthier for it. Thats what i tell myself anyways. I found that just talking about what im worried about helps me feel better. Just take your thoughts and say them outloud. Thats what i do to try and clear my head. This is my 3rd sleepless night and im just hoping that i was able to help you a little. Just remember that the only way to go is up from here and stay strong. Keep the people you love close. Dont feel scared or embarased to discuss your feelings no matter how strange they may seem. I believe the term for what we are experincing is called hypocondria research it a little that helped me alot too. We will get through this it will get easier.

• Posted

I just noticed this was posted six years ago but i feel so much better after writing all of that. wow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.