I've been having heart palpitations for the last week, could it be anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started getting them late Monday and since then I've been constantly stressed, I've been to the doctors and my heart beat wasn't irregular and my blood pressure was fine but then the day after I was having a really bad attack so I went to A&E and had a blood test and a ECG and both of them came back normal, I've been able to feel my heart beat through my whole body since about Tuesday and it's now Saturday, it's worse when I'm laying in silence but it's noticeable about 80% of the day, I just want to know if anyone else is in the same situation I am in and if It could be anxiety - I am 15 years old, I go gym regularly and I consider myself healthy.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Mate you sound exactly like me had heart palpitations scared I had a heart issue, still haven't been to doctors but will soon. It's def anxiety and you've had all the tests done so you're fine the only reason you feel your heart is because you feel it a little bit and then you focus on it meaning it becomes more obvious to you and in turn it beats faster.

• Posted

Thanks Tom, I hope you get to the doctors soon mate as its better safe then sorry, hope it all goes well for you mate and get well soon.
    • Posted

Cheers mate anxiety is a tough things it comes and goes and when it comes you feel miserable and when it goes you feel relieved before it hits you again hope you can sort it out yourself Mage take care
  • Posted

You need to try relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation. It is unlikely you have anything wrong with your heart at your age. Can you think of anything you might have been doing that brought on the initial palps?
    • Posted

I have only just started school again but I was more excited then nervous, I have a massive fear of planes and flying and I went on holiday mid August and I'm not sure if that is what it could be and I try breathing techniques but it only makes me think about it more so it beats faster but other then school and flying I haven't really done anything to cause this.

• Posted

Sounds as though it is anxiety, you have done the right thing though getting your heart checked out by Dr's, not worth the risk that there might be something underlying, at least you are in the clear, but that is not helping at all with the feelings you are having does it.

Why are you stressed, exams, boyfriend, parents being demanding.

Can you step back from your situation mentally, and maybe even in person, and talk to a church minister, or a Dr, even doing what you are here may help, there is no way we can know who you are, so fire away with all the questions you want answered.

To give you an example I am in Australia, somebody else who replies may be in England or even America.

Do you understand about our inbuilt fight or flight response, its very ancient and buried very deep in our most primitive part of our brain, and its what kept us alive when we were living in caves and trying to avoid being eaten by sabre tooth tigers.

We still have that part of our brain, and you for whatever reason seem to be firing off that part of your brain, and it makes your body wan't to prepare for that fight or flight, ie the fast and rapid heartbeat, it saved you ancestors from those sabre tooth tigers.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply and I have recently just started school and I had a little anxiety attack in school but what surprises me more is that I thought I was more excited then anything to start school but clearly i was under some pressure, as a child I had panic attacks a lot but they soon passed and now it's heart palpitations, I'm not really the anxious type and I never really have been, just a little worried as I've never experienced anything like this, by the way I'm male 😂 And for the question side of things, I've been taking magnesium tablets as my doctor doesn't want to put me on any medication like anti depressants or beta blockers as I'm young and It could just be a thing that passes, do you think the magnesium will help? I've been on them for 3 days now and I could say it's getting better but I'm not sure if that's just me getting more comfortable with the heart beat feeling

• Posted

I have also for tonsillitis, not sure if that changes anything.
    • Posted

Well as a child I had tonsillitis all the time, they wanted to remove my tonsils but I was to scared as at the time I was only 8-9 years old, my mum got to the point where if I got tonsillitis I would just swallow a table spoon of honey and take a tablet or two to sooth the throat but obviously if it gets any worse then I would go to the doctors and get prescribed some medicine, I know it not normal for a person to be able to constantly feel their heart beat and when I say constant it is constant, I am only worried as I don't think the constant stress on my heart can be any good for me

• Posted

Yep, I'm now a lot lot older and like you started having anxiety attacks about the same age, I still have them but once you learn to except them theu lose there power over you, panic disorder is really common just people don't talk about it as much ad they should, can you talk to your mum/dad or someone, join the web site nomorepanic its brilliant and will make you realise its fairly normal as growing up, if you need to talk and have no one you feel you can talk to message me, I am female

• Posted

Just read your replies, yes infection will increase heart rate and post event anxiety will also do it, banana a day will increase potassium as well, also sip chilled water, learn square breathing that works, when you day your heart is fast how fast.
    • Posted

It's not fast but it's always very hard hitting, it's pounding but not at a fast rate, it's hard to put into words but basically it pounds as if it was going fast but it's not going fast, also I have made major improvements since this all started but it's just still always constantly there, it puts me on edge majority of the day and I struggle getting to sleep as its very noticeable when I lay, if you have any other recommendations to help me like breathing or meditation id be grateful if you told me, thank you for the reply

• Posted

Hi jayden im karthik from india i have the same problem from last week.

Are u still experiencing the palpitations. If u dont have the palpitations now could you tell me how you came out of it. I had checked with a cardiologist after the tests he said im perfectly allright but still experiencing.

• Posted

Hi, i know this is late but did you find out why you were having the palpatations? We’re you deficient in anything since you say you workout? I workout too and that’s when mine began.
    • Posted

Hi Rose, I'm not sure that you will get a reply so although I don't know the answer just knowing others have gone through the same thing it can help, how old are you and does it only happen after a strenuous workout.

• Posted

Hi Alexandria, I’m 27 and it usually happens when I’m working out. I discovered my potassium was low not too long ago and I’m seeing a cardiologist next month. The electrolyte imbalance was what initially did it for me and my doctor prescribed supplements to try to correct it.
    • Posted

Hi Rose its not unusual at your age to be experiencing a faster heart rate especially if your low in certain nutrient's, your Dr is probably sending you to see a cardiologist just to dot the I,s and cross the Ts and nothing to worry about, I had them loads when I was your age and thank God I'm still here, if its happening when your exercising can I ask are you fit?? Or are you just starting doing physical activities, do you know how fast it is and is it regular

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.