I've been having severe anxiety for 8 weeks and Drs put me on citalopram 10mg but I'm taking 5mg?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there I've just 2days ago started taking Citalopram 10mg for severe anxiety but I've started on 5mg due to having to stop fluoxetine 20mg after 1week 3 weeks ago due to the scary side effects. The anxiety has just come on me in the last 8 or so weeks after a year of spreading myself too thinly selling both mine and my husbands houses and buying and moving away, plus getting married looking after my children and changing jobs!! .. I'll be honest I've never experienced anything like anxiety in my life I'm so scared! I really don't feel like me anymore especially with me just starting taking the meds with it as this has heightened my anxiety again and made me feel so unwell I can't work or sleep.. I'm currently staying at my mums to feel some normality please tell me this gets better? sad

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It gets way better! Been on Citalopram for about 6 weeks. First 2 weeks were kind of rough, but by week 3 I seen a huge change. Only been getting better everyday. The anxiety is 99% gone, crazy thoughts I had almost gone. Stick it out.. It's worth the ride!
    • Posted

Thanks so much that sounds promising!! Can I ask what mg of citalopram your on please? 😊🙏🏼
    • Posted

20 mg... I found when I started if I take it at night I sleep through alot of the side effects!
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice it's very much appreciated.. 😊
  • Posted

hi i was the same,but it does take time,am feeling loads better,but still carnt get my self bk into work propely yet,stickwith it and am shore you will see the difference in a couple of weeks,

deexxxx

• Posted

Thank you Dee, I've got a massive headache today but less anxious than yesterday and heads not racing and whirling as much although it was this morning. Last night I slept better.. however I did wake up a few times in the night like shocked but managed to go back to sleep.. As for going back to work I can't myself for a while it's my own new business and I'm not getting paid while I'm off so this couldn't of come at a worse time for me. One step at a time though I'll cross that bridge when I get there 👍🏼
  • Posted

Hi Chrissie

Believe me, you will soon feel better especially when you are on the right dosage. It is early days yet, I went from 20mg to 40mg (over a period of time) before I felt better.

• Posted

Thanks so much Jennyann.. I'm on my 5th day and feel spaced out like foggy I hope this side effect goes off soon..as from this morning I'm on a full 10mg tablet xxx
    • Posted

I've started taking 10mg again after tapering off in June. I came crashing down again so I'm taking it again. Today is my second day. So far I've felt spaced out at times, but I've felt a little calmer. Haven't had a panic attack at all. I find that being productive makes me feel a lot better instead of trying to dwell on the side effects or how I'm feeling. We will get there! I have to taper all the way back up to 30 mg as that was the dose I was great on. A few hours after my first pill yesterday, I felt a period of optimism and so I hope they will get longer soon! Good luck on your journey! That outcome is great.
    • Posted

Hi bee

Thanks for your comment.. Good luck on your journey too, sorry you had a bad time n you've gotta start again..keep in touch and let me know how you get on we're at a similar stage and it's good to have support with someone that understands.

Take it easy.

Chrissie xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.