I've been having severe stomach issues for a month and a half- What should I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

• I'm 18 years old & Female
  • I started taking iron supplements which caused me to become severely constipated. I dropped the regimen of iron pills hoping that things would fix themselves but they didn't. After seeing a gastrointestinal doctor which told me that chronic constipation sometimes just happens and that I should take miralax and benefiber daily. I have been doing this- but I still have crippling lower back pain, vomiting, and awful stomach cramping.
  • I did some dietary changes by dropping gluten, but I still haven't been seeing any improvements in my symptoms.
  • The miralax gives me awful gas and I still am not passing regular bowel movements.
  • It has been nearly two months of agony and I don't know what else to do.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You could get a radiological scan to see what is happening internally. The best place to do this is at a hospital emergency room where they could diagnose and give you treatment.

• Posted

Go back to your GI doctor and ask for tests such as an ultrasound, endoscopy/colonoscopy to find out what is going on in your gut. Try a food diary to identify other problem foods.This may help you to see a pattern in your symptoms. There could be another food other than gluten that could be upsetting your gut since you are having abdominal pain and vomiting. Do you ever get loose, urgent stools or diarrhoea?

• Posted

To answer your question - yes, I think the diarrhea and loose stool is result of the miralax though. I have tried changing the dosages around but I cant find the happy medium between diarrhea and just plain constipation.

Also, thank you for your response - I will definitely look into those options.

• Posted

The trick with laxatives is to stop them when your stools become softer. I found this technique worked for me when I was on laxatives. The laxatives I had, took a long time to have an effect and when they did, my stools began to be over loose. I now treat constipation with fruit only which is a gentler laxative option. Try switching to fruit instead to relieve the constipation. A happy medium can be found this way.

• Posted

Pippa is correct. You need to press you G.I. Dr. to do something.

A camera down the throat will resolve most issues.

It does NOT sound like you are losing weight. So I do think the food and liquids are getting into your stomach.

That is the first issue to confirm.

Then why it is NOT coming out.

• Posted

I would recommend you use some probiotics. These are good bacteria that help to facilitate digestion and provide relief from constipation, diarrhea, bloating, nausea and even UTIs. I think you should checkout some probiotics and perhaps try to use some yogurt, kefir or better yet probiotic supplements. One which Iwould recommend is Flourish Probiotics by Eu Natural. It is a natural probiotic supplement consisting of healthy, good bacteria which aim to improve overall health and provide relief from various digestive problems. It also includes Acidophilus, Plantarum, Rhamnosus, Reuteri strain. These are bacteria which resolve constipation problems.

Check it out. I hope this is helpful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.