I've been having sudden symtoms of a thyroid disorder

Posted , 5 users are following.

For quite some time I've had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep through the night. About 2 weeks ago, I started having leg cramps only when I lay down for bed. I realized heat helped with the pain so I asked my husband to place his legs over mine, using his natural body heat to soothe the pain. Later that night, I woke up feeling extremely hot internally but cool to the touch. I also felt nausea and dizziness. After about 15 minutes these symptoms subsided but the next day my throat felt swollen and has been this way for 3 days. After some research, I found that magnesium deficiency may be the culprit so I bought some magnesium spray and it helped with the leg pain and I slept great. I'm assuming that my thyroid gland is swollen but I'm wondering, as I don't have health insurance right now, is this something that will go away on its own or do I need medical attention?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, you could still make an appointment with a general practitioner and have at least a basic thyroid function test, measuring your FT4, FT3, and TSH. This is should not be too costly and provide some peace of mind.

There is a chance that you have transient hyperthyroidism due to a (temporarily) inflammation of the thyroid but one never knows. The most common cause of hyperthyroidism is Graves' disease.

Whatever you do, at least record your resting heart rate and if it exceeds 90 beats per minute you should definitely see a doctor.

• Posted

Do you live in the States Charlene?  Do they have alternatives or low cost clinics for people with no insurance?  I live in Toronto and used to work in an Emergency Department.  We used to get a lot of people from the States come into our Emergency Department.  I agree with Dan's advice.  You want to now what is causing the problems and whether you have a thyroid condition that needs to be treated.  This is especially true if you have hyperthyroidism.

• Posted

I have started researching the cost and I'll be making some calls tomorrow to find out more about it. Thanks for the advice.

• Posted

Hello. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2015. In 2016 I lost my insurance. I experience extreme nausea and vomiting. Body shakes. I'm very weak now. My BP is through the roof. My neck is swollen. I finally saw a Doctor last week. If you have this and don't get medicine you can get really sick. Take it from someone who has been there. The damage to my body will never go away. Be careful with yours.

• Posted

I'm so sorry Carrie. Ask you're doctor about L-carnitine and hyperthyroidism. I have read that taking L-carnitine can help with the symptoms of hyperthyroidism but is bad for hypothyroidism. Maybe this is something that can provide relief and you can get your life back.  Thank you for your advice and I will definitely be diligent about finding out what is going on with me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.