I've been having toe issues for over a year and I'm not sure what the problem is

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been having problems with my toes for the better part of a year now. I get chilblains in the winter, but that's not usually much of an issue. It's inconvenient, but not really a problem.

The main issue is that my toes seem to get very hot and swollen in close-toes shoes in hot weather, and this tends to lead to severe itching. The itching gets so bad that it will wake me up at night or I will make myself bleed.

Basically I'm trying to figure out what on earth could be the problem? Again, its mainly the itching and swelling that is confusing me. There are no bumps, just shiny, swollen red patches on my toes. There is no peeling, so it's not athlete's foot or anything. But it's driving me nuts!

Please help!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

When I was young growing up in England just after WW2 chilblains were very common, but I haven't heard of them for maybe 50 years.  I have always put this down to having a poor diet after the war versus a much better diet when things got back to normal.  

I know this doesn't address your swollen, patchy toes directly, but perhaps chilblains and what you now have are diet related?  Are you getting all the vitamins that are necessary?

David

• Posted

Hi, 

In the immediate term, applying a cream to stop the itching to clean dry feet will help, like E45 Itch Relief, or even Savlon.   If you can’t get to a pharmacy its worth Googling for something you already have at home that may alleviate the itching e.g.  a cup of apple cider vinegar in a bowl of water – soak your feet in it.   

I am an older (female) Brit who had chilblains as a small child, our diet was well balanced;  I loved the salad and veg that we grew.   I didn’t have chilblains again until I was in my twenties, this during a period when I was living in Edinburgh (in Scotland) and walking to work in smart and fashionable shoes, in very cold conditions. 

I believe the chilblains were a result of this poor quality footwear exposing my feet to the cold, and also partly triggered by the additional factor of my having rather poor circulation.  They were quite bad but dabbing a fluid substance called Gentian Violet on them worked well for me both at that time and when I was little.   Since then, by keeping my feet warm and buying quality footwear (plus I wear sensible boots a LOT), I have not had them again.        

The best tip I personally can offer for healthy feet and avoiding problems in the future is well fitted footwear that allows your feet to ‘breathe’,  as I’ve already said i practically live in flat boots of some description which have a breathable outer and a natural warm lining of some sort like cotton or sheepskin;  also, wear natural socks made from cotton or wool.   I avoid putting anything that is not natural next to my skin.  Aside from the chilblains I’ve enjoyed very healthy feet.

I hope you feel better very soon xx

• Posted

Could be a fungal infection.. soak your feet in a bowl of warm water daily, add 4 drops of 100% TTO (TEATREEOIL) which is an anti Fungal solution..dry well, wear sandals that give your feet breathing room..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.