I’ve been having very bad experiences from metronidazole!!!Help?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I got treated for a bv about a week ago and he prescribed me metronidazole. Three 500mg a day for a week. The first two days I was fine ..they made me feel a little ill but other than that I was fine. Going to work doing daily activities just like any other day but I notice my heart was racing at night ..I was sleeping but not feeling rested. Then I started to experience sweats for really no reason at all at work but didn’t think much about it other than it being a minor side effects of the medicine. Then on the seventh and last day of taking metronidazole I thought I was having a allergic reaction to the medication where I felt like my throat was slightly closing so I went to the urgent treatment center where I got a steroid shot to calm the reaction down and I was fine. Went home and went to sleep normal just like any other night.  Woke up fine Saturday morning went worked out at the gym ,went to the mall later was fne ...still feeling ill from the medicine with no major issues jus yet until later that eve and night. Not feeling like myself at all . Still functioning but not happy and not having fun like my normal self . I went to a birthday party that night and felt really irritable...didn’t know if I was having a panic attack or not because I’ve never had one ...I just had to leave because it was just too much going on loud music too many people I jus needed to leave as soon as possible. Stayed up all night jus sitting there couldn’t sleep...but I eventually did fall asleep for a little while . Next day I was feeling weird I starting to research the drug to see what was going on . Because just like most of you I’ve had small anxiety before but nothing like this ...my mind won’t let me rest and makes me feel sad happy and crazy from day to day now..losing weight I can eat but I jus don’t really want to eat like that . I read where it says the medicine stays in your body after three days of taking it ...two days ago was the third day and sometimes I feel like I’m better and at times I feel like I’m worse . I have this mild dull  pain that goes from my ear to the back of my neck to the frontal of my head and mayb slight discomfort behind my eyes ..I thought that maybe was a tension headache from just the stress of this drug effects that I have been experiencing. I think more than anything I hate not really getting sleep at night or in the day for that matter.. I just hope and pray that things will get better for me and I can get back to my life . All these stories kind of scare me but some of them are giving me light . I’m just trying to be patient let me slowly go back to my regular life keep bein positive keep fighting keep living and hang in there all the things I keep telling myself. If you have any advice or story please respond to me thanks 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Reading scare stories about this drug doesn't help. Much of what you describe sounds psychosomatic. But you should be taking it easy during any course of antibiotics, not partying or working out at the gym.

I'm currently on M 400gms (for the first time), and believe me I know about it - general queasiness, and even what appeared to be like a fit attack a few hours after taking the 3rd tablet, although I remained conscious. But thankfully no repeat of that symptom since. Even going for a mile walk down to the shops is an effort and I dare not walk too briskly just in case I get taken ill on the  street.

I'm halfway through the course and so far no more alarming symptoms. So I'm reasonably confident that taking it easy (if you feel unwell, take time off work) is the way to get through this. If you do feel that ill stop the course, dial 111 and describe your symptoms. You can get an instant appointment that day to see your GP. They have to see you immediately if authorised through 111 as happened with me after my fit.

Good luck.

Best of luck

• Posted

I have stop taking the antibiotic..I’m getting better as the Symptoms and reaction are starting to leave but basically found out that it was drug toxicity I was given too much of it and I didn’t drink enough water while on it ..my liver couldn’t flush it all out and it built up in my body so I’m in the process of flushing out my system..and I have been progressing..slowly but surely ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.