I've been hearing ringing one my left ear and i don't know if it is a sign of tinnitus?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 21 year who just started hearing a soft consistent ringing sound almost like the soft hum of the refrigerator or kettle on my left ear. I do like to use earphones to listen to music while doing homework because i am a college student. Weeks before i experienced ringing in my left ear I was very sick, had a sore throat, then a fever, recovered, then had a stuffy nose and the common cold. About 2 weeks before I am not sure if it was a concussion but i was doing judo and practicing chokes. My arteries must have been blocked for too long while practing and started feeling dizzy. I experienced a horrible migraine and this led my sore throat into a fever. I was very stressed from school and had a hard time recovering from my cold that was the by-product of my fever. I am trying to think of possible reasons that coulf have caused my ear ringing symptoms and i hope it is not something serious and long term like tinnitus. I will make an appointment to see my family doctor to get it checked out but until then I don't know what to do and I am extremely worried I will hear ringing for the rest of my life.

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

• Posted

Hi Selina. It sounds like you have some form of Tinnitus, but don't worry, it's no allways permanent and can be caused from anything from dehydration too internal trauma. Does the hum sound like its coming from inside or outside your head? What kind of headphones do you wear, and how long/loud do you have them? As you have just come out of an illness, I would suggest that was the cause. Loud music and choke holds might not be helping wink

• Posted

I wear rHA ear phones and had them since september of 2015 often to do homework. I had them on for low volume for a year and progressively use louder volume. I was wondering if doing judo and the falls and chokes could possibly be the problem. Even though i did not bump my head really hard. I did recover from a cold now, can the sickness still be the causr? The soft whistles today still sound internal, almost like when you cover your ears with clam shells. The sounds are almost in noticeable but i really dont want to over look it and get it check. If it is check very early on will there be a chance the doctors can cure them?
  • Posted

Hi, it could possibly a eustacian tube blockage, this can happen after a nasty cold and can make the ear feel very fuzzy and blocked. You may also have had an ear infection but didn't realise? Or, possibly a wax build up, that can cause tinnitus too. I think it's a good idea to get it checked up and hopefully they'll see what the problem is. I would say where headphones are concerned I switched to over head instead of in-ear headphone, and now I'm very mindful of how loud I have the music. Hope it gets sorted for you, I sympathise with how rubbish it can make you feel

Kirsty x

• Posted

Thank you. I do want to overlook the super soft whistles even if they are very unnoticeable. I am worried the sounds will last forever and it will get louder. I am super worried i cant hear silence.
    • Posted

I suffer from tinnitus and I know how stressful it can be, I too never hear silence (so to speak) but what I can say is that stress definitely makes the symptoms worse. So, don't sit in quiet places, always have some sort of sound on, it may feel like you're masking it, but trust me, if it keeps you calm it will help. Have your doctor have a look, for reassurance and guidance. I had a blocked eustacian tube for months after a nasty cold, so yes, things concerning the ears can hang about a lot longer than the virus can. Also like I said before it may be a wax build up, that is a very common reason for tinnitus and can be sorted. Believe me I know how upsetting this can be, but don't give up hope, you're young and healthy, see your doctor and have them help put your mind at ease. And remember, stress makes it worse, stay as calm as you can, I always have to have a background noise on to help me.

• Posted

You are right. I need to stop thinking about it or cry about it. I am just really stressed about finals week and how i am gonna concentrate. And i can't go to the doctor yet it is Sunday. I will try to stop thinking about it for now. I just don't know what i tell my parents and i don't want to let them know.

• Posted

Try putting some music on in the background see if that helps, like I said I always find it comforting to have another sound that I can focus on instead.

It's so hard, I know, but try not to cry, I'm so sorry you're going through this but I'm sure the doctor will be able to help you and get you through this.

I'm a mum and believe me we don't mind our kids coming to us about anything! If you would find comfort in telling them then do so, I guarantee they'll understand, just say you're having issues with your ear and it's starting to upset you, say you're going to the doctors to get it looked at. Sometimes talking about these things can ease stress too. Good luck in your finals! And remember, it may not seem like it now but this will pass and you'll be back to you soon 😊

• Posted

Hi Kirsty

Definitely tubes blocked in the ears from cold I had virus twice, I got a slight ringing in the left ear the doctor said yes it's infection. I have had this now for 9 weeks and 1 day. Some say pull ears puff air in by holding your nose and gently puffing.

But I've found it makes the ringing worse as if the tubes open slightly the vibration makes it worse. If you gently move your ears there may be a crackle also trickling of fluid running. But it won't come out your ear. It's stuck in the inner ear. It makes you snort as it slowly release behind your nose and goes down the throat . But this is good. If mine no better in 12 weeks I am.being refered to a ENT

If you feel it's running then that's good. Steam good not too much and 10 mins that's it. Sometimes I get headache migrane and feel a bit dizzy. I have been using Nasorex spray that drys you up and takes inflammation down. I feel I'm an expert on this now as had soo long and got so many doctors advice. I hope yours goes soon x

• Posted

Hi there, hope this sorts itself out for you soon, it's a horrid thing isn't it, can make you feel awful. Unfortunately my ears are my panic trigger too, which is rubbish. I'm still struggling with my right ear now and find if I travel though mountains or hills my ear blocks, it's been doing this since last November!! Have you ever experienced this? X

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

mine is different with bending down and positions of my head sometimes louder sometimes bareable yesterday i was crying and praying as i really had had enough.

But its the pressure change the only thing they said was i may have to have a gromit in the ear but that does not always work. The best thing is a balloon inserted if it does not go. you have to try and release the pressure so a stream room in a swimming pool shower but plug ears very gently hold nose and puff, or block the good nose breath in and out the bad one, if money not a problem buy an ear popper Boots sell but £125 or i have an oto vent balloon which you blow up with nose or mouth the size of an orange take water 1st block 1 nose tube up other as as you release swallow. helps open tubes to drain fluid? What are your symtoms What did your Dr say and do for you Kirsty.

LUcy x

• Posted

It started last November with a very nasty cold that led to me having a blocked eustacian tube, it felt very blocked, ringing and hissing in it and pressure. I can unblock it but it blocks itself back up again, not always, but enough to bother me. It got me so down I used to cry all the time too.

My main problem is with travelling now, it gets blocked with altitude changes and when I go to Scotland and travel through the mountains the blocking and pressure is unbearable, like when you go on a plane. I know to some people it might seem silly but it's the one thing that's always upset me, I've always avoided swimming because of it, and now I'm helpless about what I can do about it.

The doctor said my eardrum looks fine, but when I explained the altitude problem he just said it would be something I'd need to learn to cope with. But this never used to happen and I used to adore travelling! Thing is my partner lives in Scotland, I've not been up there since the ear incident, he likes coming to me, but I'm desperate to get my life back!

I'm so sorry to go on, I think I just get frustrated with myself

Thank you for your message

God bless Kirsty xx

• Posted

Hi Kirsty have you not been given anything what soo ever?

I would take nurofen for the inflammation and get a decongestant as well like sudafed and plenty of steaming second opinion as well. there is help like I said previously. Have a look on u tube tons of things to do and pressure points you can try as well. x

• Posted

Hi, I was given a nasal spray, he said to stop taking the other decongestants as they actually, if they're over used, can have the opposite effect and cause your sinuses to become more blocked?

I wish they would do more for me, but I'm kind of being told to just get on with it. I've exolained to them (I've been to more than one gp) that's it's stopped me travelling, they just say it will sort itself out, but seven months is a bit of a stretch I think!!

Maybe I need to push to see ENT? It's notoriously hard to get a reversal where I live though.

Thank you again, Kirsty x

• Posted

Well a doctor can't look right into your ear drum only a ENT can a doctor can see if infection swelling that's it. Really Kirsty I would push it and say this is not good enough or acceptable.

I have 3 more weeks and they will refer me to a ENT hopefully it will go. At the moment too hot to steam though . We only have little ear tubes so it's hard to clear . You do have to watch decongestants. Do you have crackling in ear mine like snap crackel and pop lol. Drives you mad ah. I will let you know what happens . And please let me know how you get on 2. X

• Posted

I do get that crackling, pretty much all of the time, I never realised before that not everyone gets it! I think you're right, surely there's more that can be done!

Kirsty xx

• Posted

Hi Kirsty

I more thing worth a try is to drink lots and lots of water and that will thin the mucus out so it will clear, it's helped me tonight.

If the pitch noise changes its vascular so from your inner ear.

Any way goodnight x

• Posted

I will definitely try lots of water today - thank you. I get intermittent high-pitched noises in my ears that then leave it muffled for a while, is that what you mean?

Sorry for all the questions

Kirsty xx

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

Drinking water will help to thin out the mucus this will make it a lot easier to move and get out, try and go in the garden for air as well hold one side of your nose and then the other.Did you have any clicking in the ear? this is due to antibiotics etc and too many.

If its high pitched all thd time like sitting lying down then thats vascular the inner nerves of the ears, different sounds means different problems and i heard this from my doctors. but keep up the water a lot all the time. x

• Posted

It's all started happening after a very nasty cold, I didn't have any antibiotics though.

The thing I hate is how much is stops me wanting to travel, I actually find it quite depressing. I wish I could be one of those people who didn't give a monkeys about it, but hey ho. Sorry to sound so down in the dumps, it's just been going on so long that it's frustrating

Kirsty xx

• Posted

Hi Kirsty 

hz ur ears today are you drinking tons ? I must confess mine are starting to improve still crackling but not half as noisey. And I drank loads 

• Posted

Hi, I have drank lots, they still crackle but I'm not sure if they've always done this and I've become more sensitive to it? Still hopeful that one day I'll be able to travel without the fear of them blocking up!

Thank you for checking in on me, happy to hear yours are feeling a bit better x

• Posted

Hey there 

get plenty of air and keep drinking water it will eventually thin the mucus out the cracking is good that means things are moving. You have the right attitude keep telling yourself it will go and it will. 

Do you sniff up when you can feel something there ? If you do then it's working let me know Day by day ! xx

• Posted

Try. One more thing Kirsty but don't hurt yourself when your head is straight get your thumb and next finger pull out your ear lobe do straight out, then then 5 quick tugs up. This will stimulate the tubes there only thin and you need to get them open to start to drain this mucus, and it is like catarrh, if you have had a long long time it's just sat there quiet happily annoying you. 

And I think I had the same two virus then a tiny whistle, I thought wax so starting to syringe myself, Evan though my dr said nothing wrong at all then she gave me ear calm as she thought infection now that could of made things worse, and finally nasorex, and I think when the crackling stops I'm going to stop using it, this will tell me the fluid is gone. I don't want it reversing. I think I never told my doctor as I panicked. 

But that's what you have to do? Have you tried any of that ? 

• Posted

Hi Lucy, it's become a massive issue for me, I worry about it blocking daily. It doesn't seem to be about my sinus, just completely my eustacian tube, it pops throughout every day, I wish I could stop worrying about it, it has become a fixation with me. Every day I am nervous to travel because of it blocking and the pressure, honestly just wish I could have it sorted, it's changing my life.

Sorry to sound so down, it just gets me that way. Doctors again I think.

How are you feeling?

Kirsty xx

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

I'm still whistling crackling but not as loud I still got fluid running now and again. It is draining slow. The sinus spray is nothing to do with the nose your euchation tubes are at the back of your nose they run from your ear to the nose. What have you tried doing ?

• Posted

I've had nasal sprays, used steam, and nothing so far has stopped it. Day to day it's not too bad but as soon as I start travelling, even slightly uphill it starts to block, I'm at a loss of what to do. I've heard of travel earplugs for this, have you?

Kirsty x

• Posted

When you steam you boil a kettle and cover your head try a tiny bit of olbas oil in it . Don't use plugs they will mess your balance up. Keep steaming a lot I do it 3 times a day keep stretching your ears to get the tubes open. Its definitely fluid that has gone soo thick it cracks. Try to hold your nose and puff to loosen it . This is a good start you need to move it . Then it will loosen it

• Posted

Any idea what the heck is going on with me and travel? I struggle with the pressure inside the car, and like I said, hills and mountains it gets awful! Thank you for all

Your advice x

• Posted

Hi Kirsty

It's all to do with balance like on a plane sometimes your ears hurt when you desend or when you take off. Say you went scoober diving some have to go in a chamber . It's all about compression and balance . If your ear feels sticky inside then you also have glue ear and that's the crackling as well. You have vibrations that ping inside towards the ear, this vibration helps you to here. When the balance between both ears are not correct your balance the muffled sound like your underwater and deafness happens. Try to start by holding your nostrils closed sit down and blow but not way too hard you have to be careful. I kept doing it you have No gap in your ear. You need to get a tiny gap to get the fluid to start running out the back of your nose and down the throat

• Posted

You have no idea how much I appreciate you taking the time out to help me! Doctor said my other ear is blocked with wax so I'm having to (begrudgingly) put bicarbonate ear drops in to soften it, I hate things in my ears so it's been a bit of a panic for me. Do you think this could be putting me off balance as you said above? X

• Posted

Who said to use bIcarbonate of soda?

Olive oil more natural if you do have wax. Just buy a pipette warm up the olive oil you don't want to use cold or that will set you off balance for sure. That bicarb is fizzy nor wonder your ears are crackling.

You use olive oil for 2 weeks for the wax to soften it then go and see the nurse for an appt to get it syringed. So 1 ear blocked with wax ? Well if it is that cert won't help with blockage . Look on u tube at people having wax removed pretty gross but it gives you the idea of how deep and bad it can be.

• Posted

The doctor prescribed it, it's in a special dropper. He said it's more effective with hard wax like I have. None of this would be a problem if my ears weren't my panic trigger. I tried olive oil before and it didn't do the trick. he said he would look at having it syringed if that doesn't work then maybe a suction, but that means a referral. There's a month wait list to have an appointment with my doctor so I'll get myself on it. Thank you again. If only I could solve the travelling thing it would make sure a massive difference x

• Posted

Well olive oil for 2 3 weeks should loosen it how long have you done this for?

i would buy a syringe and a temperature thermostat and do it my self then 

get your mum to help, it's easy you fill the syringe put your head side wise over the bowl use tepid water not to cold or hot and flush that horrid wax out. Loads of people do it. You may have to do it a few times so you pump Luke warm water in keep tilling the syringe and pump in again. It does fill odd at first but you will be able to flush it out. 

• Posted

Hi Kirsty

Whenever I try to clear the blockage in my ear. It's feels as if air us trying to come out but couldn't thereby causing the clicking and fluid running down my throat. My throat feels tight as if something is stuck in it, is it because if the fluid running through it

• Posted

Hi Cynthia, I'm not really sure I'm afraid, I do know the eustacian tube can feel more like your throat than your ear though. I've never had the blocked throat feeling though.

Lucy had been really helpful and knowledgable, she may have more of an insight for you?

Kirsty x

• Posted

Kirsty along with my other mess yest to you. Get the metal syringe do that for the wax one.

But I would close the wax one off with your finger, and hold your nose turn your head to the left take a breath hold it and gently puff in and out. This way that ear will be loosening. Let me know how it goes. xx

• Posted

Thank you Lucy! I've been looking at YouTube syringing videos, some health professionals seem much better at it than others?

Xx

• Posted

Hi Kirsty

It does look gross lol but it works with wax cos ur pumping water in so it breaks it up. Can you try it if you want a syringe I did by a plastic one online. Be happy to send it to you. But there proberbly are better ones out there. I've been in the garden breathing air holding it and puffing gently. And the one nose thing we discussed. Think it's working.

• Posted

Honestly don't think I could do it myself, it's enough for me just to put drops in, just sends me into panic mode. Sorry to sound so pathetic!

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

Course Not

I've decided to stop using the spray and see if it speeds things up. Yes you use the spray to dry up if your tubes are shut but mine are a bit.

Otherwise it will dry up and prob go sticky after all 10 weeks today ah. Just fed the jack daws my fish 5 of them all fighting over it lol.

Any way lovely I'm going to chill now. Have a lovely Eve. Keep in touch. xx😀

• Posted

Love Jackdaws!! Birds are so relaxing 😊

Enjoy your chill out time

Kirsty xx

• Posted

Hi Kirsty 

how are you feeling now ? 

Im just waiting for the Dr to call me now so I can quizx her about a couple of things. 

Hope it's clearing now 

Lucy x

• Posted

Hi lucy,

It's still the same to be honest, still getting tinnitus that makes me get dizzy. I have an appointment on July 20th with my GP, going to push for a referral I think?

Hope your okay? Let me know what the doctor says please.

Kirsty xx

• Posted

Hi Kirsty 

My question was does the spray make your fluid go thicker as it drys you up. 

She said no the spray if anything encourages it to flow out.

My question Can the spray dry too much to produce more

She said no it makes your ears start to balance more by the fluid coming out. 

I did ask about your wax 

she said she always says olive oil it's more natural for 4 weeks then a nurse flushes it. She said others much too harsh for the ears.

i said I do puff in the garden to get air in dye said that's good it will again encourage them to not stick and to make them function properly. 

I asked why do the ears hurt she said it's the fluid in the ear the swelling puffing of the ear the spray is the best I have for this. 

I said at the moment it sounds like my heart beating in my ear 

she said yes it's the blood vessels that are promonante and the vibrations can cause different noises for tinnitus but this is normal. She said it's like a drum open one end closed the other, so the vibration that makes you here pings around. 

I said seems quieter at moment she said coincidence. 

I said I steam with tiniest bit of vick and again fine. 

I said that gromitts in the ear are not successful she agreed she said dime people can't put up with this nose. 

She said another 6 weeks now. 

All of a sudden air gets in and ears feel fine again. 

Shes good !

• Posted

She is good!!! I've not had any of that feedback! My poor doctor has to deal with me having panic attacks at the thought of anything in my ear though!! I'm a a lost blooming cause!

Can I ask what the spray is you've been given please?

Kirsty xx

• Posted

Kirsty

What is it you are scared of with your ears. You have a massive clump of wax in one ear.

Tinitus and fluid in the other ear. Nothing really can be any worse. What ever they do its not wore than what your going through now

It is quiet therapeutic really to see the wax come out.

Nothing is pushed in the ear. Wax is blocking so they pump warm water in. And that pushes the wax out . Some times the longer it's left the more it gets impacted.

Get that sorted then you can deal with the euchIan disfuntion.

I will help you with this.

Your balance will improve dramatically my spray is called

Mometasone furoate you spray it in each nostral. It has a cortisone in it for inflammation and a drying agent In it.

• Posted

Thank you 😊

Ever since I was a kid I've been terrified of my ears getting blocked, like when you go under water, hence why I can't swim and I don't enjoy swimming at all! It's a lifelong fear I've always had, sounds ridiculous but, it's there. It's so kind of you to be here x

• Posted

Hay Kirsty 

i think you will have to get hypnotised then so you can get it done.? 

Or you will be living with this forever ah and you can't do that. 

I think you have to get syked up just think you have a shower and wash water gets into your ears then. Honestly it's worse in there ah. 

Where do you live maybe there's a hypnotist their ? 

• Posted

I don't even put my head under water in the shower, I wash from behind, believe me this has been going on for over 30 years!

You're right though I do need to psych myself up for it!

Or those speakmans on this morning haha

• Posted

Yes speakman's lol they will find out where this has come from.

May be worth it to move forward.

You don't want this forever. Mine driving me nuts tonight ! But for me no point in having more things put in it especially when my own Dr said they don't always work.

My advise try it yourself just a bit at a time see how you get on.. you did excellent with the sodium bicarb in your ears. This is no different. Go in the shower and put cotton wall in your ears. The water better than this think possitive and keep saying you can do this .... you have nothing to loose visulize the possitive not the negative xx

• Posted

Thank you Hun, I've been really trying to stay positive, weird how ears can get to you so much isn't it?

I'm taking my children to Scotland end of July so I really need to psych myself up for it. It's been taking over my life for so long now!! I long to be able to just get on and not let anxiety stop me!

Hope you're okay xx

• Posted

Hi Kirsty

Feel drained at.the.moment with ear running, but I am getting more air in.

Just watching Titanic now that's water ah.

Well chat tomorrow. xx

• Posted

Plenty of water in that haha!

Hope you feel better tomorrow, speak then, thank you for all the kind words

Xx

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

How are you feeling today ? Takes forever ah 11 weeks today mine I feel my tubes are opening so thats a plus. I think its a disfunction as sometimes 1 works then the other 1 works. need to both ah lol.

At 25 i can do with out this. xcry

• Posted

Exactly the same as mine! Do you get it when you think it seems to have healed itself, then comes back? So frustrating!

You're so young, you should be out having fun, I'm sorry you're going through this.

Kirsty xx

• Posted

Try milking ears too that seems to work

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.