I’ve been here before but ..

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have suffered with a panic disorder and generalised anxiety for about 12 years. During this time i have stopped and started Sertraline about 4 times, I've spent large amounts of time off of it because CBT therapy was enough.

Having to restart it again tonight and I'm terrified. I know that my side effects are always bad for about 2 weeks before i start to feel better again. They are just so debilitating, especially when I have a 3 year old to look after and I live alone with her.

I guess its less of a question, and more wondering if there is anyone out there who is going through a start up and willing to help each other through it when it gets bad?

sometimes its just comforting to know that there are others going through the exact same thing and that you're not alone and only a message away...

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I'm new to sertraline for crippling health anxiety. I've been on 25mg for a week now I have been on 50mg for 4 days. I was previously on fluoxetine and the start up on that was a lot worse than sertraline. The nausea, headaches, increased anxiety is bad but just remember it's only side effects. Today I have no side effects apart from little spikes in anxiety.

what mg are you starting on? You're not alone, even though it feels like it, lots of people are in the same boat and its a journey. I was scared to start taking sertraline because of the side effects but i was so bad before sertraline nothing could possibly be worse.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Ashley

Thank you for the reply i really appreciate it.

Im glad that your side effects are lessening now thats great news. Will you stay at 50?

when youre in it, it feels like its lasting forever but i know theres light at the other end.

im currently taking 25mg and i will up to 50mg in about a week.

• Posted

Hi

touch wood no physical side effects today. Feel more able to manage the anxiety spikes too. Although it's still early days and it takes around 4-6 weeks to see the full benefit. I will be sticking with 50mg for now until the 6 week mark then see how i feel. Trying not to over think it too much lol.

Hope you're side effects aren't too bad for you 😃

• Posted

hi, I am here for support if you like. you can pm if you want too . jo x

• Edited

hi,

your not alone, I have lowered my dose a month ago from 50mg to 25mg and i feel like im back to square one. I spoke with my doc and she said to go back to 50mg but im now suffering the side effects, which i wasnt expecting with such a small increase.

How are you feeling now?

• Posted

hi Mcaj

i must say im better in the second week of increasing to 50 than the first week.

im definitely having less nausea and vomiting and the panic attacks arent as many.

i still feel pretty rough with it but like i said im only in week two.

how are you feeling now?

• Edited

hi,

I'm feeling a little better today not sweating and tense, still a little nausea. Hoping it won't be much longer. just got to keep going!

• Edited

hello iv been on sertraline for 8 years silly me decided to get off it 6months ago . i went well for a few months then rapidly went down hill. i was put on dothep which was so bad never ever again will i touch that drug. im now about to take me first setraline today and because of how bad i got on dothep im sh*tting myself. how have you been over the last few weeks.

• Posted

@brendon07516 Hi, i'm in a similar situation. I was on citallopram for 8 years and decided it was time to come off them then like you 6 months later my anxiety and health anxiety aky rocketed and i am now on sertraline day 13. I am still having quite bad side effects, how are you?

• Edited

Hi,

I also took Zoloft before. Six years ago I had a breakdown and was hopistalyzed. I was on Zoloft for 4 years. I weaned myself slowly. Six weeks ago I started having severe headaches and then a couple weeks ago the intense anxiety occurred after a younger family member died unexpectedly.

I started back on Zoloft on 7/1. First at 25 mg( for 6 days) and now I am on day 3 of 50 mg. Very rough. Headaches, anxiety, nausea and sleeping issues. They gave me hydroxycline 25 mg to help but it only lasts a couple of hours. They just gave me Xanax yesterday. It is a small dosage but helped me sleep better last night. I am trying breathing exercises and the CALM APP. I pray this gets better. My PCP gave me the original meds and I could not get a psych dr. appointment until 7/20. I was on Klonopin last time for awhile so maybe they will add that or at least give me more Xanax for the next few weeks. I pray for you and me. I am fortunate that all my children our grown and on their own. I am here for you.

• Posted

thank you for your reply. im here for you too.

it does get better. takes time and patience thats all x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.