I’ve been on Amlodipine for two weeks now , I feel awful, what should I do ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have been on this awful drug for two weeks , i get lightheaded , i have anxiety but this medication makes it worse , i want to just stop , but don't know if its safe to do so . I wan't to try a new blood pressure medication with few Side effects, I don’t know what safe out there any suggestions .

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hello, i had to take it between november and april. i had horrible side effects and BP took months to settle down. i would say after two months the side effects eased and where bearable, by four months i think my body had got used to the medication, Bp better. if you can swap great the fatigue, dizziness and aches where awful but if not i hope this reassures you it can get better

• Posted

thank you , i will give it a little more time see if the Side effects ease up a little . You put my mind at ease thank you

• Posted

When I was on Amolodipine, I felt like I had the flu. I ached all over, had absolute no energy, it was an effort to walk and it did not change my BP. I stopped taking it and within 48 hours I felt back to my normal self. I have had enough energy to go the gym and lost 20 pounds. Also my BP has continued to be normal without the medication.

• Posted

First, yes it is safe to stop - although of course your BP may rise.

How much are you taking, and is it working?

And, it takes a week or so to wash out of your system.

Second, it's often still given first to new patients because it's old and cheap, not because it's the best thing in town. Many people are fine with it, but there's a pretty high occurrence of side-effects too. I've decided I don't much like the whole class of calcium-channel blockers.

Third, the "best" as a class are probably the ARBs and ACE-2 inhibitors, although they are not perfect, either, but of course they are also the most expensive, even the generics can be mid-level costly.

Finally, in the US it's common for patients to be given several drugs in combination, often including a diuretic, which is what does the trick for me.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Geraldine,

You have my utmost sympathy, I felt so bad on the medication I wanted to die. I went back to my Dr who changed my BP medication to Enalapril, and put me on a Beta Blocker called Atenolol and I have felt great, plus my BP is down.

Don't suffer, go straight back to your GP and try another medication.

Best wishes

• Posted

Go back to your GP as there are alternatives. I must be one of the lucky ones as I have been on Amlodopine for 5yrs and have never had any side effects but accept that some people do.Make sure though that it is the Amlodopine that is causing the problem. I have a friend who was convinced all her symptoms were caused by taking the blood pressure drug but it turned out she had a a chemical imbalance and once sorted all the bad symptoms disappeared.Please don’t believe everything you read about this drug being banned in certain countries as this is absolute rubbish.Don’t just stop taking it as you will be more at risk of a heart attack or stroke and choosing between a Amlodopine and that I know what I would choose.

• Posted

Hello,

I will suggest you give this drug some more time, like six weeks or so.

All BP drugs come with side effects. I have been on beta blokkers, diuretics, angiotesines but could not bear them at all.

i coughed constantly with beta bokkers, had tinnitis with diuretics and serious itches with angiotestines. I have been on amlodipine for like 8 years now. I experience dizziness sometimes, but that is just a fraction of a second. i also have felt pain in the ankle that disappears after a while. All in all i would not see this drug as awful.

You did not mention the dosage you are taking. i take 5 mg.

Good luck though.

• Posted

Hi Geraldine, I was just wondering how you are doing on the amlodipine now that it has been a couple weeks. I have been on it for alittle over a month. My dr started me out on a low 2.5 mg per day. When I went to drs to get my BP rechecked, my BP was still up so he increased to 5mg. I felt fine on 2.5mg, but after a week on 5mg I am so sick. My ears are ringing constantly, my right ear feels sore (earache), and I have a weird headache. My scalp feels sensitive. I feel like my hearing is muffled. I have an appointment on Tuesday with my ENT dr. I hope he can help me. I have no swelling in my feet or ankles. I find that odd because I did on Losartan and they took me off of it. I'm finding it hard to function at work and at home. Any advice would be appreciated...

• Posted

I was put on Amlodipine along with my usual candesartan tablets, but after a month of taking Amlodipine, i started to feel as if i had no energy, i lost interest in anything i did, my head felt heavey and my emotions where through the roof. My advise, if you can come of this medication do so you will feel better after 48 hours and star to function normally...lucky escape i think.

• Posted

Hello there,

The side effects you describe will lessen eventually. Take these for a month at least. I see in your posting that you take 2 medications. It could be that the combination is causing these effects. I myself took a combination of valsartan and amlodipine. I dropped the valsartan after three months because of excessive itching. Anyway discuss the options with your GP. All HBP gives side effects. But it must be bearable.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.