I've been on cocodamol 30/500

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone I've been addicted to cocodamol for at least 3 maybe 4 years and i have to have 6 a day and I get so so depressed I feel to cry I got anger there to were I'm addicted to them I am so determined to get off them but the question is how I have a full time job just started and I don't fancy going cold turkey when I got this job a job I like doing anyone know how I can do it please help guys even if it's anything little to say thank u enough love to u all xxx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

How do you mean you are addicted to cocodamol? I honestly did not think it was possible if you only have 6 per day presumably of 30/500 tablets. What makes you think you are addicted? Have you ever tried reducing the dose? Have you spoken to your doctor about your concerns? I have 8 x 30/500 co-cocodamol per day, have taken them for 10+ years and I am not addicted to them. I know that because on days I have no pain or am in hospital (which happens quite frequently) I do not not or cannot take them but suffer no cravings or desire to take them, nor any withdrawal effects.  If you take them because of pain, then you need to get the pain sorted out, or you will not get off them or you will be given an equivalent drug which could give you equally as bad effects.

I hope and pray you will get sorted out soon, and that the doctor will give you the help you need.

• Posted

Hi Emma 

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story. 

I was in approx 140mg a day so you’re only taking a little bit more than what I was. 

We are all different as you’ll notice when going through some of the other stories on here. Some go CT as they feel it’s the only way to knock their addiction on the head. Some taper as that was is what suits them. We are all different. 

About 4-5 weeks ago I did a fast taper i.e. took 12 nurofen plus on the Friday (2 doses of 6), 8 (2 doses of 4) the Saturday, 3 (in one hit) the Sunday and then 2 on the Monday (also in one hit). I was then off them for a week. I had slight restless legs, mild aches and pains, and a bit of gastro!!! I had new found energy also. I just stayed extremely positive. I did have a set back (my own error) and was taking small doses for nearly 2 weeks or so but I now haven’t had any since Sunday. Again I’ve had mild restless legs and a bit of gastro daily. 

Where do you live? I’m in Australia where you can now only get codeine products by script. When I found out about this (about a week before the law change) I had no choice but to make a quick decision as to how I was going to tackle this!!! I was very determined!! 

Have a read through some other people’s journey on here. Everyone is so supportive and by chatting to others on here really can help. Good luck smile 

• Posted

Also Emma I was taking this dose for about 3-4 years when I hurt my back....prior to this I started taking 2 a day approx ten years ago. I hands down definitely abused this drug and took it for the buzz. Psychologically it’s bloody tough giving this up but as I said you just have to be strong and remind yourself of why you are doing it. I forgot to add that I also have suffered terrible anxiety this time around (I didn’t 4 weeks ago when I first started) which I am pushing through. The anxiety thing is the one side effect I was dreading! Not sure how long it will linger on for but I’m not backing down 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.