I’ve been on fluoxetine now for 6 weeks, it’s not working but it’s work before in the past

Posted , 2 users are following.

im now 6 weeks into taking fluoxetine for the third time now. the first time i took it, it changed my life. i suffer from OCD and my intrusive thoughts are debilitating. im at a position where things have not improved at all over the six weeks and i had a dose change from 20mg to 40 about 3 weeks ago. im speaking with my doctor today about going up to 60mg but im worried that it wont work again like the first time. the second time i took it was over the course of around 12 weeks and i only saw a very slight improvement hence why i came off it again to try something different, so my question is shall i stay on the fluoxetine and hope that it will make me feel as good as the first time or should i be looking elsewhere for another medication

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Sun

why do you think it is not helping you ? do you have a side effects?

Fluoxetine is taking very long tine to work, specially if you have been on it previously. Doctors telling us 4-6 weeks, but it is incorrect, it takes much more longer to balance your body on the same dose. Every time you are changing dose you are going to have a side effects and it feels like you are starting all over. Give one dose at least 3-4 month to balance out.. You will have up and downs but eventually all side effects with disappear, and you will start to feel better.. Don't be scared it is not working, it is, just give it time 😃 I am on week 17 on 20mg and just recently start to have a good days, and it was very hard journey.. Please keep going, relax and believe it is working, even sometimes it feels like doesn't.. You can come and chat here for support and i am more than happy to support you and help you on this journey:)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.