I've been on Oral Hydrocortisone (15 mg daily) for 35 years, adverse effects are multiple

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I have been taking Hydrocortisone for 35 years, since the removal of a Craniopharyngioma that flattened my Pituitary Gland. I produce no hormones, Panhypopituitarism. I also take Synthroid for Hypothyroidism. With time the following problems have arisen, all HC-induced: 

- Esophageal Candidiasis which has gone up to my mouth. Started within first year of taking HC;

- High level of Cholesterol, though I eat very little, home made, no fats, nothing fried (I am pretty skinny) but now at 300. Started about two years after surgery;

- High level of Sugars, though I only have sugar with my one cup of coffee a day.  Started about two years after surgery; 

- Pustular Psoriasis. New problem, started a year ago.

-Severe chemical depression, caused by both, HC and Synthroid.

I was a patient at NIH but they never included me in the research. All Endocrinologists, there and any I've had, all made me feel guilty when they'd see my cholesterol and sugar levels.

I have not met one Endocrinologist that knew anything about Craniopharyngiomas or Hydrocortisone-induced problems, they would up or down the HC dosis (went from 30 mg daily to 15 mg daily some 30 years ago -moonface never disappeared) and prescribe  more medication. Then again, it took doctors 20 years to figure out that my intense migraines since age 12 were due to a Craniopharyngioma..

ANyone in my situation? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

I've refuse psychiatric help for the Depression, the first thing I was prescribed was Prozac.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I feel so sorry that your having to live through all these difficulties with little understanding of how to cope with all thes aggravating and serious side effects that can make your life miserable.,and occupy your every thought with family and physicians unable to comprehend the what you are going through. I can just imagine hearing from some well meaning person saying,If you'd just lose. Some weight ,you'd feel better.... or you are to young to weigh so much. You need to eat less and excercise more...I know you are sick, but you look so good....you ought take better care of yourself and take this vitamin or potion or herb,as if you don't know what your body looks like orifyou haven't tried jillion's of remedies!

I have severe asthma COPDand have taken prednisone since I was a child  sometimes for Short  periods and  and much longer periods,even for 11 years and 4_5 years then and now  not for years at a time , but still with all the other meds it is still the mainstay. When it got to be severe in my 30's aaand with a transfer to Atl. It go worse for 8 years and transfer to Miami, even worse. We were there2 years and has been severe since.

I gained 100 lbs during the Ten years and for about a year with dose low or offI lost 60 lbs and felt and looked so good while it lasted.

At one point, having been in the hospital for a week, I came home and had a terrible heat. Reaction and I became manic,then medicines took me to deep depression,gradually that got better but I was nervous and anxious..But I lived through it. I usedMajic mouthwash made from pepto Biismol and children's Benadryl to soothe your mouth. Be sure to spit it out. For burning stomach take Mylanta several times a day. The liquid is better ,but Flavor chews  help with stomach pain..

You probably know many things that work well for you,I just want. You to know few things that I have experienced.  It is so hard. But wilth all of it, I am 75 years old and I able to have a limited but wonderful life,overall. I pray that you will fix d the physicians and counselor  and friends and family to help you through these difficult  days??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.