i've been on sertraline 50mg for a wk now, but I feel worse than before, Am I even on the right med?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I think my case is kindda complex.

About a month ago I got obssesed with reading the bible as I wanted to get closer to my religion. Long story short, I started researching mostly on youtube about demons and i think between reading and researching to much about it, it got into a point I freaked out and I couldnt stop thinking about it.

One night I exploted having a horrible anxiety attack or psicotic attack (i am not even sure) where I was so desesperate of those thoughts to leave me alone I even felt for a moment maybe there was a demon who wanted to control me. Let me just say that I have suffered from anxiety from the longest time but never like this. I was also counscious the whole time that was insane to think something wanted to control me ect. My boyfriend was next to me the whole time and he was trying to calm me down.

After that night I was sure I needed help so I went to the hospital where they ended up baker acting me unfairly and mixed me with other mental health patients who were hitting themselves, and doing weird things. At some point I felt so nervous I thought I was in a movie and that was not real.

After 8 hours I saw the pscichiatrist and she let me go because she saw I wasnt a threath to myself or others.

That night was very difficult to me.

So I called my family to my country and they all bought a flight and came the next day.

I cant describe how bad I felt the next weeks: I couldnt eat, take a shower, brush my theeth, everything seemed like a mission to accomplish, even the most automatic things a person does in a every day basis; but added to that I was having several nervous breakdowns a day. Why this is happening to me, what happened to me, was a psicotic episode? That means I am ezquisoprenic? Bipolar? Am I losing my mind? I am become crazy abd losing control?

Well, two weeks ago I arrived to my country trying to find help. I went to a psichiatrist and he said I was in a bipolar crisis hypomaniac or something like that. He prescribed lithium 300mg twice a day and aripriprazole 5mg (medicine for ezquisophrenia).

I couldnt accept that diagnosis because I dont feel I change of moods all the time, in fact my family eigther beilives it, so we did what everyone else would have done: look for a second opinion.

This other psychiatrist did not talk about a diagnosis but he changed the medicine to sertraline 50mg and clonazepam 0.25mg twice a day.

By the time I went to see the first psichiatrist I was feeling a little better over all, at least to function, but since I have been taking this sertraline and clonazepam I had another episode like the first one but less intense or thinking too much, still was very stressing. I am currently feeling worse than I was before. I dont want to do anything anymore, I am tired. I dont know what to think or what to do.

Does sertraline makes you feel worse at the beginning or not?

Also, what ideas do you guys think I should try or do

To get better. Right now im so exhausted and my mind is so exhausted I do not know what to think, my body feels heavy and I keep having anxiety attacks and fears over everything.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The depersonalisation did not make me feel sick but yes sometimes light headed. Nausea and dizziness can be side effects of this drug as mentioned in the leaflet. I hope that you are seeing an improvement. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.