I’ve been on statins for over 8 years and I was healthy when I started them..

Posted , 6 users are following.

i was diagnosed with familial hypercholesterolaemia. my cholesterol was 9.6 mmol/ litre but i had no symptoms. i was put on statins to prevent cardiovascular disease. Five years later, i developed angina so the high dose statins did nothing to prevent it. i then started to have tingling in my feet and legs. MRI found no reason so i started to research statins. i believe ive developed neuropathy due to the statins. the more research I did the more really bad side effects i found out about. Especially the fact that statins are useless as a oreventive measure and, in fact, can give you cardiovascular disease. ive stopped taking statins. My cholesterol has shot up but im not worried about it because its a meaningless measurement. The most important monitoring levels are triglycerides and HDL. + waist measurement. im now following a high fat, low carbohydrate mediteranean diet instead of taking statins. My GP has supported my decision for the time being and we'll be monitoring my triglycerides and HDL. Im losing weight on the diet without even trying and my waist line is reducing. its now just 3 months since i stopped the statins and changed my diet. So far, im ok. Doctors now realise that the data presented to get us to take statins was manipulated by the pharmaceutical companies that make the statins. Theyre naking billions of £/$/€ from their sales. Do the research.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I too was pretty healthy and my GP had done an annual check up with bloods etc. Mainly as I have an under active thyroid. My cholesterol came back just under 6.0 and my GP said that it was borderline but not compulsory to prescribe medication. Another factor was that my siblings had very high cholesterol readings. So I accepted the prescription and off I went. Now at thus time I had just started with the onset of osteoarthritis, so when about six weeks later I was having terrible pains in my thighs and legs, I assumed it was the osteoarthritis. I eventually got to a point that I could hardly walk at all and the pain by the end of each day was beyond compare. I dragged myself back into the GP office with the aid of a walking stick. As I started to explain my symptoms, she cut in an exclaimed oh yes I gave you statins three months ago, you are lucky (?) another patient came in a few days ago in a wheelchair!! I came of the drug, my muscles relaxed and I was able to walk again. I do not believe that the pharmaceutical companies should be allowed to talk the powers that be into adding it to our drinking water etc. Taking note of what Susan has said, it may have also been responsible for the neuropathy that I have,

• Posted

I totally applaud you Susan and well done for sticking to the change in diet and congratulations on achieving such good results. I did a lot of research into statins after I was prescribed them for familial hypercholesterolaemia too - my reading was at 9 and I was made to feel like a leper by the doctor who got very angry with me and told me I was a stroke waiting to happen. Then the horrific side effects started and I was totally ignored and made to feel I was imagining it all. I ended up in the ER unable to move one day and the young doctor attending specifically asked me if I was taking statins and said it could be due to their side effects. I found out during my research that statins increase blood sugar and in certain cases actually contribute to the onset of type 2 diabetes - which in turn is a MAJOR factor in causing heart disease - thus, as you say, statins can be responsible for causing the problems theyre meant to prevent. As a preventative measure they are both useless and can be dangerous. I'm still not convinced they should even be considered as the first port of call for post heart episode patients in most cases either. As you say, high LDL is not the major concern, the differential between LDL/HDL and triglyceride levels are far more important. I still have high cholesterol but I'm not overweight, have normal BP and blood sugar levels and eat a normal balanced diet with plenty of good fats and fresh vegetables, I will accept the risks just to feel healthy again. I will never take statins again for sure.

• Posted

My blood glucose was 41 (the very top of normal. 42 is pre-diabetic) and the optician tells me im developing cararracts. Both these things can be caused by statins. i cant gelieve that all this knowledge of data has been kept from patients.

• Posted

oh wow I never knew about the cataract issue. I have also been told I have early stages of cataracts, the first ever person in my entire family to develop them, which I've also been told is unusual. My gad, I wish I'd never been stupid enough to blindly follow my doctors advice and take that poison.

• Posted

Hello Susan,

Maybe your cholesterol was that number because is natural for you and your family. Cholesterol is in the body for a reason, it is needed, you are proof forced low cholesterol is not safe. If you really want the truth about cholesterol read about Ancel Keyes flawed research, he had results from 22 countries but he only took 7 of these which he said supported his theory and ignored the other 15 which proved he was wrong. He pushed his theory on

cholesterol and a lot of today's ill health stems from him. As you can see I am part of the cholesterol lie and would never touch a statin, I think a lot of doctors do not believe in them either but, they are told to prescribe them.

• Posted

I read about Ansel Keys research and that led me to find out more up to date research. I read the Pioppi Diet by Dr Aseem Malhotra and used it as a reference book. His recommended diet is what I'm following. I'm a retired nurse and an ex colleague of mine initially brought all this to my attention. I'm grateful to her.

• Posted

I too was prescribed statins because my cholesterol was high....was taking them for years never questioning my G P. then without having any symptoms of diabetes ,after a blood test I was told I had type 2.....then I read how statins can raise blood sugar and cause type 2 , so I stopped taking them.....and my blood sugar came back to normal, my G.P. still won't say that I'm not diabetic, and still have blood tests....but he always tells me that my results are better than some non diabetics. I would never take another statin. My joints...knees and hips are very sore ...I am in my 70's so it could be athritis....or the statins...I'll never know, but I think they do more harm than good. and the pharmaceutical companies are laughing all the way to the bank

• Posted

This is interesting to me Lisa because my hubby had a heart attack in February and they said he was diabetic and put him on metformin even though he had never had any symptoms. A nurse told us, after a heart attack your glucose levels can rise and it takes about 3 months to return to normal levels. He has come off them now but, he has developed a tumor in his bladder which I believe has been caused by the metformin.

Next is to try and get him off the statins, he was on bisoporolol which caused ectopic beats.

• Posted

I agree with you on that point. Like my normal temp is 36° not 37.. Like I said I stopped the stations after three months but the after effects left me worse off.

• Posted

I too have familial hypercholesterolaemia and my cholesterol has been just above 7 for the last 2 years. The first year the GP simply said the ratio was ok, the second year despite nothing being different she began talking about statins. I exercise regularly, eat mostly low fat, am not overweight etc so no other risk factors. Add to that the fact that my husband who has a lower cholesterol but more risk factor first had to stop a statin due to liver enzymes going funny and then the second when working out how to manage Type two diabetes which was almost certainly precipitated by the statin. My phone conversation with the GP ended with her saying we would see what this years reading is like so I am anticipating the same discussion again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.