I've been over producting of saliva

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I wanted to know if with SS you can get an abundance of saliva? I woke up this morning with less nasal congestion but as the dat progressed, i notice that i was overproducing saliva so much so that it is making me nausea. I don't take any saliva medication so I don't know what could've changed.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I have been diagnoised with SS for 23 years now and i have never had overproducing saliva, could it be a side effect from other medication you are on?? Have you been diagnoised with SS or think you have it 
  • Posted

Hi there Nu2this,

?I'm pleased you've jogged my memory about something similar that's happened to me a couple of times, albeit during the day. Something else I ought to mention to my Rheumatologist when I have my follow up in December.

?Like you, I've had a sudden excessive flow of saliva but only from salivary ducts on my right side and it also affects my voice at the same time. It's quite unpleasant and this was all happening before I was even prescribed Salivix pastilles to help produce some saliva!

?Mind you, I only tend to use the pastilles last thing at night while I'm reading in bed so that any saliva production can hopefully linger in my mouth to help protect my teeth. I'm desperate to take care of my teeth lol

?Don't know if this is a Sjogren's thing or not though but daresay my Rheumatologist will be able to tell me if it is come December.

?Must be scary waking up with a mouth full of saliva to the extent that it makes you nauseous. Glad mine's only happened while I've been awake lol Kind regards,Hippyginger

• Posted

It hasn't happened to me for a long time, but when it did, I woke up because my pillow was drenched in saliva. Happened about three occasions. My dry mouth is worse just now, but my stress levels have been off the scale for some months. I keep saliva pastilles in a small liddedpot on the bedside table as well as a tube of oralieve ( all on prescription). My Rheumatologist  originally  put me on ptegabalin & I ran out recently for a few days., I was quite unwell, now ack on it, and now seem in reasonable form. I think that medication can help us but it is a real trial and error effort. I really think that you must mention this and see what they say but I hope and really think You should try not to worry seriously about. It. Could any of your meds’ be the cause?

• Posted

Hi Estelle,

Thank you for your reply. Are your symtoms under control with the meds? I don't know how to get a grip on this. Its either a dry day or too much saliva. To be honest, i rather have more than less but its quite difficult to talk or eat as the food just sits in my mouth. Ugh! I never had this prior to my surgery...for those that have lived with this condition for many years, God bless you. I am so tired that im usually in bed by 6pm. I am definitely not the same person I used to be but I trust in God that he has a purpose for me.

• Posted

I have what I call my “morning cough”. I cannot clear my throat so cough as though I need to bring up phlegm, but rarely do. I understand that it’s the gunge that settles in my throat as there’s no saliva production at night to wash it away. Some days are bad, others not so. It usually clears by mid morning. Trouble with SS is that we all react differently to the Meds. I can’t stand lubricating eye gel for instance like lacrilube.

I don’t know why, but pregabalin was given from the day I was diagnosed. If you read it up, it doesn’t help much. But it does say this on Wikipedia.

Pregabalin, marketed under the brand name Lyrica among others, is a medication used to treat epilepsy, neuropathic pain, fibromyalgia, and generalized anxiety disorder. 

I have just had it increased and the pins and needles and joint pain is quite a lot better now. 

Keep positive - my diagnosis put the last piece into my jigsaw. Bad teeth, sore eyes,photo sensitivity, joint pain, osteo arthritis, choking sudden coughing fits etc

So, read the forums and other stuff, and try out some things that might help you. X

• Posted

Thanks Estelle. I been put on placqunil which did not do much for me although I was on it alittle over a month. I am now on methotrexate and i will see how that goes. The sad things is that i really haven't been fully diagnosed. Its only been 4 month and I listen to many on this forum that sometimes it takes years. I suffer from nasal congestion which makes the discomfort unbearable. Im just happy to know that so many ppl on this site are so willing to share and help each other.

• Posted

Hi all,

Thank you for your quick response. I feel alot better when being on this forum. I am still undiagnosed. My Rheumotologist is leaning towards a diagnosis but wants me to get a second opinion. I see that some of you have experienced this and i am on medication for acid reflux. I don't know if this would cause it. My SS bloodwork comed back negative and I do get some saliva on a regular but less than before.

• Posted

Hello...like you, I have an over abundance of saliva but it is foul tasting and very thick.  And the weird thing is that I still have a bone dry mouth. Also, it is only in the bottom of my mouth and I am constantly sucking to dry and get rid of it (futile). 

I haven’t been diagnosed either although SS is in the family and I also have type 1 Diabetes. Basically, I’ve been told it’s either SS or BMS and sent away with a flea in my ear. This thing is destroying my confidence and effectively ruining my life but no-one has taken it or me seriously. They prescribed Amitryptiline for the nerve pain in my tongue but then discharged me and I am now in the process of trying to be referred to a different hospital for a second opinion.

This hypersalivation is horrendous and my heart goes out to you. Please don’t be fobbed off, make sure you are given a definitive diagnosis and then go from there.

Kind regards,

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for your kind words. You described exactly what im feeling. I have so much saliva I walk around with a disposable cup, yuk! It makes me gag but yet my throat feel so dry. I have to keep sucking on ginger candy so that i don't lose my mind. The worse of it is that sucking on candy works up my reflux. If im not completely dry, i am expiercing this. How did you get rid of the symptoms? Sometimes i think its some sort of allergic reaction. Please give me advise.

Thank you

• Posted

I’m sorry if I didn’t make it clear but not only have I not had a diagnosis but I haven’t got rid of the symptoms either. It’s actually getting worse and that is why I’m seeking a second opinion. 

I suck sugar free mints throughout the day but these in turn give me intermittent bouts of chronic diorreah because of the artificial sweetener used in them. At present, it feels like a lose/lose situation but if I make any headway at all, I will let you know!! x

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

Mints irrate my reflux so I tend to do gluten free ginger candy until I realized my hiatus hernia was being affected due to the sucking of the candy. The saliva gets worse for me as the day progresses. The dryness makes my throat contract. Do you suffer from nasal dryness? Does your throat hurt?

• Posted

Yes, my throat frequently hurts and I cough up a sort of ‘gunk’ but it isn’t like phlegm from your chest, more like gunky stuff which I think is the actual saliva which almost pours into my mouth. It’s actually quite disgusting..

I am unable to swallow the saliva because it sticks to the roof of my mouth, the whole thing has become a complete nightmare and I don’t know what to do next.

Someone mentioned acid reflux to me but my gp has washed his hands of it (hence the second opinion).

Having said that, you and I do seem to have similar symptoms and I am interested to hear how you get on x

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

Thank God you totally understand. Today is not one of my better days. I ame congested and throat dry but have saliva. I too bring up some think phlegm like saliva but not too much. The saliva is very thick though. Sorry for being so graphic. I do think that the issue swallowing has to do with acid reflux. After a recent surgery my hiatal hernia has been very uncomfortable. I had not had this issue of producing so much acid before. I have been put on ranitadine 2x daily but its not doing much for the acid. I can feel it in my mouth. My throat hurts now where it didn't before. It feels like i scraped it with food. I also get throat contractions from the dryness. This makes it hard to talk. I can swallow but it hurts . Are you in the states? Maybe you can private message me and we can discuss more at length. I can tell you what my Rheumotologist is telling me maybe it will help you or point you in the right direction. This forum is the best. So many helpful individuals. Hope to hear from you soon.

• Posted

Hi again. I’m actually in the UK but I’m happy to use PM so we can discuss further. Send me a contact address and we can go from there x

• Posted

Hello Nu2this and Wendy.  I write in the hope that this may help though I am doubtful.  Still, worth a try.  I have very long-standing Sjogren's and am very dry so do not and never did have your over-production issue.  I know if I am really, really dry, which might be just the result of a conversation, that the roof of my mouth can be coated with a thick brown junky saliva which I have to scrape off at times and I think a tiny bit of the same thick saliva now often lodges in my throat after eating producing the irritating dry cough.  What I wanted to tell you was that I visited an elderly lady once who had a fluid problem and was prescribed the usual diuretic.  She had a distressing symptom which, years later, I thought was probably due to the drying-out effect of the diuretic.  She would find herself with a mouthful of froth which she was unable to swallow and would have to spit out to be able to talk.  This affected her social life, as you would understand.  At her card-playing afternoon with her Dutch companions, she used to suck on chocolate almonds, even when the chocolate had gone and only the almond was left and this helped her.  I believe the sucking helped her to produce more normal saliva.  I think the thickness of the saliva would be because you are producing the mucus component in greater quantity than the water component (absolute 'layman' thinking, so apologies if wrong).  I am so sorry that you are going through this awful stage and hope that you can find some medication that can help. 

• Posted

Thank you Maureen for your reference. Much appreciate any insight. God bless
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments here and I do agree with what you say. I feel very sorry for anyone suffering with this and I do believe it’s a part of the salivary system going haywire. The dryness seems to be the common ground for everyone but some unfortunates have this thrown into the mix and sadly, there doesn’t seem to be a cure, much less a treatment. 

However, the suggestion of sucking chocolate almonds like the old lady did does ring true. Whenever I eat anything, there is a brief lull in the thick stuff being produced and as you say, it’s as though chewing and sucking encourages a production of the more ‘normal ‘ saliva. It IS only temporary though so not ideal!

But thanks again, it’s good of you to share this.

Regards x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.