I've been prescribed Sertraline but as I live alone I'm scared of side effects.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been prescribed Sertraline despite pharmacists looking at me in amazement as I am  always bright and upbeat.  My doctor thinks my recent malaise/exhaustion/bad sleep is a sign of depression.  I haven't started it and don't want to take it until I hear from others that the likelihood of my having a "manic episode" is NOT likely!  I take Zopiclone at night and painkillers for headache and arthritis.  I'm over 80 and have dodgy knees.  Would be so grateful to hear from others.  Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi how long have u been taking zoplicone? And how many do you take 🌹

• Posted

Hello

I live alone also so I’m aware of some of the challenges. You won’t become manic but ADs do have difficult side effects. Unless you have a good support system in place? be aware that you might struggle initially. 

I would suggest that you think very carefully before you decide. Talking therapy can be helpful for depression, could your GP refer you for this? 

Best wishes

Eve

• Posted

Thanks Eve. I am thinking carefully. Very carefully.  I am not depressed as we know it just exhausted all the time! 
    • Posted

Hello again, just another thought. Has your GP run some blood tests for you at all? Some GPs are quick to prescribe ADs without ruling out other sources for the malaise. Warm wishes, Eve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.