I;ve been put on Bisoprolol 1.25 for AF

Posted , 17 users are following.

Is bisoprolol so bad 

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jean 

I was on a much higher dose of Bisoprolol for AF for a long time with very few side effects and was only recently taken off them because it was no longer controlling my AF. How now been put on Amiodorone and life is dreadful because the side effects are so grim. I can't wait to come off them. I wish you all the best and hope the Bisoprolol work for you

• Posted

My private cardiologist says you should only. Be on Amiodarone no longer than six months,that's what he did with me.
  • Posted

I'm on the same dose which is relatively low.  I take it at night, sleep very well and am less zombie-loke during the day.  Used to take a higher dose in the mornings and that didn't suit me at all.
    • Posted

zombie-like is what I meant to write.
  • Posted

Hi Jean I have been on Bisoporol for 3 years now initially on 5 mg and by taking my blood pressure was able to reduce, I have not experienced any side effects I have tried stopping all together but pulse races and B P goes up my advice is give it a fair try and if you get side effects see the Doctor best luck take care John
    • Posted

Thanks but so far no problems with biso..,and got a different tablet instead of warfarin  
    • Posted

Hi again Jean i had a bleed in my duodedum and had to stop taking Aspirin got prescribed Clopidogrel instead and touch wood had no problems since
  • Posted

HI Jean .  It took me a few weeks to get used to it - still feel tired most of the time but if it keeps the symptoms down - I can put up with that.   i found I couldnt take the 2.5 mg in the morning but have 1.25 with breakfast then another 1.25 in the evening.  Think the thing is to find what works for you.  Looking at the replies youve had seems we are all different.  Good luck let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

Hi jean-Roy here-ref bisoprolol-spoke to my doc about this medication-she said it was on my hospital discharge letter-but she said if they are causing any after effects -then stop taking them-so who do you believe?i think i will take a gamble and come off them;
    • Posted

Hospitals usually tend to take rather a cavalier attitude to prescribing and then your GP has to pick up the pieces.
    • Posted

I know what you mean derek as i said my cardiologists said i was cured ? Here i am months later and worse
  • Posted

bisoprolol will make you feel like a zombie, if it does you will know what it is, it ruined a whole year for me 
    • Posted

I've had an episode of paroxysmal AF in January after a medical procedure ago and my GP prescribed 1.25mg of Bisoprolol and things settled within a few days and I stopped it before any side effects started.

I've had another episode start on Sunday and have been taking 1.25mg night and morning. Since then I have have had poorer vision in my left eye (had cataracts done in 2013). Eye clinic yesterday could not see any problem with the eye. I have also had dizziness when standing and feelings of nausea a couple of hours after taking it as my BP has dropped to too low a level for me. 

• Posted

HI Jean, Lankylass here, I am currently on 5mg of bisoprolol and take it in the morning. I started with AF last June (the permanent type, not paroxysmal) and was on 5mg of bis in the morning and 5mg in the evening! I did feel pretty ropey, usual side effects, tiredess and sometimes breathlessness which was the worst. I had a cardioversion in October which touch wood is still holding, after the procedure all the side effects of the bisoprolol disappeared. I am still on 5mg in the morning and therefore I put the side effects down to the AF and beta blocker together. I am coping with it quite well, I agree with some of the postings here that when you mention these side effects to the cardiologists, which I did, they look at you as though you have two heads!! Don't they look at the blogs people write, the side effects are even on the inside of the packet!! Anyway, I hope you find a way of coping with it, if not there are other options available. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.