I've been set free

Posted , 13 users are following.

Just returned form my rheumy apt and he has signed me off.  I am still on 1 mg but he said some people stay on 1 mg for life.  I really thought he was going to give me a hard time.  Yay.   

I will still be reading these discussions as we are friends for life.  Thank you so much for all your help, laughs, guidance and support.  You know I couldn't do it without you.

Thank you and happy summer (it is really here).

Michele 

4 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yay!!! Happy dance!  How long were you on pred?  Will you try to reduce further?  
    • Posted

I think I was on it @ 2 years something.  I will try to reduce to zero but not in  a hurry.  Funnily enough my rhuemy diagnosed it as 'probable' PMR because my blood test was never too high but he agreed 'what else could it be'.  I will also try to reduce what I weigh also as I had to get on the scales...yipes.  Worst bit. I weigh the same as my 6'2" son.  

• Posted

Thks for your prompt reply.  Best wishes to you, you lucky 🐕!  

• Posted

If you’re at 1 mg you’re probably ready to taper it to half and then zero. Give it a try. You can always go back. Took me about six weeks to go from 1 to 0 but I did it one year ago. I still have periodic flareups but they are mild and not so bad that I need to return to prednisone 
    • Posted

Congratulations! I hope you will soon be in Club Zero, but my advice is to take it slowly. Maybe 0.5 mg a day for 1-2 months and then 0. You could also cut pills to 0.25 mg and take a longer time. Daniel writes that he has still flareups and I think it is better to go more slowly and really be off pmr.
    • Posted

Yes! And a fellow friend of mine also with pmr did 1/2 every other day (after being on 1/2 for many months) before trying all 0.   1/4 is a good idea too...
    • Posted

Good to hear from someone who has actually been able to do without steroids.I have been down to 1mg/1/2mg and 0mg fluctuating for quite a few weeks. In other words I can give up for the odd day but always need to go back to taking a minimal amount.Not so bad though I guess.

• Posted

Well done!  Good news always welcome.

I stayed on 1 for quite some time and felt rather superstitious about stopping. Went down in very easy stages even from there; pill chopping and alternate daying and finally stopped. No hurry at that point if 1 for life is considered ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.