I’ve been severely depressed for almost two years ....

Posted , 5 users are following.

Friends, i have been on just about every antidepressant and ad combo available with no relief. The only med that makes a positive difference is Methylphenidate! 10 mg in the am activates me for about four hours. Another tab then sees me through for another four hours. I find i simply cannot do anything without them. BECAUSE OF THE DOWNSIDE I only take them rarely - they make me anxious and of course "the crash" is unpleasant. Total and utter depression engulfs me on the days I skip. Anyone else in the same sinking boat? I'd like to know if anybody takes methylphenidate every single day to alleviate the horrors of depression? I feel uneasy about becoming dependent on this protocol. ALL opinions and experienced most welcome. BLESSINGS to all.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi i too have been on every antidepressant available but not the tablet you are talking about but im beginning to loose hope and dont know where too turn im now 49 and feel like i wont ever feel normal again .sometimes i just want to end it all ,do you think that medication would help me i dont know what to do anymore ,

• Posted

hi tez

firstly apol for all lower case - my caps dont work.

please do discuss this with your dr. i and many others have found methylphinate / ritalin to be very very effective.

there is also a wealth of info on it available on the www. google it for depression and you'll see what i mean.

please start with your own research and then approach your doctor. in some areas medical practitioners want "proof" that one is adhd but psychiatrists and other medical practitioners are recognizing the off label benefits more and more!

it is literally the only med that gets me/us out of bed.

give it a go - nothing to lose

i wish you success, peace and blessings

• Posted

thankyou so much for taking the time to reply i will research this as i cant go on much longer ,my dr is so unhelpful and old school and cant swap as its the only surgery in town .i dont know what its like to feel normal anymore .i despair xx

• Posted

hi may i ask what country you are in as my dr im in England said they are not allowed to prescribe ritalin for depression yet ive researched it and it sounfs like a very good tablet ,i hope you are doing ok

• Posted

hi Anna I know exactly how you feel, I've been there and honestly lately it feels like I've been falling into that dark place again from so many stressful things that have happened to me lately. I'm really trying to stay hopeful even though it feels impossible at times. For you I feel that maybe you havent given each medication chance to work, on top of the fact going on and off different medications in a short time can confuse your brain and body. For me, Prozac took almost a year or so before my body fully adjusted to it and I noticed I felt much better. There's also test your doctor can do where they can see which medications would be more compatible for you, if you're able to do that. And even if medication doesn't work for you that's okay, there's soo many treatment options out there from all sorts of therapy to even just lifestyle changes, like eating healthy/exercise/ quitting smoking, etc. I definitely would not give up hope, there's a reason, psychologically or physiologically, why you feel this way, you just have to figure out why. Take care I hope this helped!

• Posted

hi sarah

sorry but caps dont work so all lower case

my depression started with a vengeance in feb 1989 so you can only guess how many meds i have been on since then. i recently underwent the touted dna my psyhe tests and at this late stage all they confirmed was the meds i am not likely to respond to! very expensive way of being told what i already know 😦

over the years i have had long periods of remission but this time i have heard those dreaded words "refractory depression"

thank you for your care and input - i am now hoping for a miracle that will set things in motion and bring me to healing. my psychiatrist has stopped all antidepressants as they were utterly ineffective. i am still experiencing some withdrawals but he feels we need to get my anxiety under control and that will help muchly. so apart from using ritalin to kickstart my day, i am taking alprazolam plus the recommended supplements.

your input is much appreciated

bless you

• Posted

Hi am so down and fed up feeling like diei g am a fat ugly mess no wonder I hurt myself can anyone help me please mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.