I've been sick over 2 weeks with apparently Mono... What do I do?!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there,

I've recently been sick so often. I've had the flu in December and a throat infection for the past 2 weeks and was recently diagnosed with mono today. I have very bad health anxiety and even though the doctor told me it was mono, there are symptoms that I don't have and ones that are so weird that makes it hard for me to think it is even mono!!

Day by day it just seems to get worse. 😦

Pain when breathing in from the upper right breast and armpit. Previous pain in the back, swollen neck glands and pain on the collarbone (almost as if something is sitting on it)... I'm not sure if this is the beginning because I only felt swollen glands and some neck pain previously after the sore throat? I think I may be catching a fever... I first took amoxicillin the first week and I ended up with a rash on the back of my wrist. I then took co-amoxiclav, but just got off of it as it does not help with mono and I've already gotten over my throat infection. I was told to go back in 4-6 weeks if I still have swollen glands, but I kinda really want to get a CT scan of my neck in case it is anything serious...

I know there isn't really anything to help with mono, but this is my first time with it. Can someone please suggest any tips on how to handle it better??? How long will it take to get better??? I'm a student so it has been really difficult to focus on my studies too.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

It takes a long time to get better with mono, weeks to months for sure and it does increase anxiety. I was convinced that it was something more. Two other family members got it at the same time so we were able to compare notes, time is really the only cure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.