I've been suffering depression for about 6 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've started natural HRT

3 weeks ago, but I am still having depresion and some anxiety. It is so good to read that HRT has helped some of you ladies that I am hoping it helps me so that I can stop taking Clonazepam which was prescribed by my doctor.   

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I usually recommend to give it 3 weeks before deciding if HRT is working for you or not. Progesterone especially tends to have an anti-dpressant effect but if you see no changes, you should tell the dr. Sam.E is a good OTC for depression. So is a potent fish oil containing 900mg a day of EPA
  • Posted

Im not on any medication, i do take vitamins and i take st. Johns wort for anxiety...
    • Posted

A herb. You can get it from health food stores or the vitamins section of supermarkets. It is a common alternative remedy.

• Posted

Not sure why they held back my reply. St Johns Wort is a herb which you can take in tablet form as a suppliment.
  • Posted

HRT can and does help many through this difficult time, although lots of women cannot use it (due to their health history) or choose not to due to the side effects and risks. However, antidepressants and anti anxiety drugs have nasty side effects and risks associate with them too. I find it a strange trend that doctors are offering antidepressants/anxiety drugs for menopause.
    • Posted

Suki girl, are you going through menopause? Are you suffering the same symptoms as some of us ?
    • Posted

Yes, I am in peri menopause which started when I was 47. I am now 51. At 47 I started having very heavy irregular periods, anything from 18 days to 60 day cycle. Then I got a gradually dryer vagina. I managed for a few years with coconut oil, vitamin e oil and tonnes of oil based lube during gentle short intercourse. Water based lubes and other vaginal moisturisers stung me or made me swell up ... and I tried many, even getting ones imported from abroad. I tried vagifem which made me swell up inside so much I couldn't even get a finger in let alone my hubbies penis. Those were my only symptoms until this year when i suddenly became completely dry and intercourse hurt no matter how much lube I used. My periods stopped for 6 months and I started getting hot flushes every few hours in the day and night sweats in the night. But I could handle those. I saw my GP and she suggested trying an oestrogen cream for the vaginal atrophy. So I tried ovestin with much trepidation but to my surprise I got on fine with it and it rapidly returned my vagina and vulva to younger, healthily plump and wet. Sex is wonderful, long and passionate. I said my periods stopped for 6 months because this summer they started again and so far they have been a regular 31 days! The same time the periods started again the hot flushes and night sweats stopped. It seems my ovaries started up again. Or perhaps it is the ovestin. I certainly don't think I am out of the woods yet. These days I also seem to have less get-up-and-go and feel a lack of motivation to get going with anything. And that's it. I actually think I am having a fairly easy time from what I have read in these forums. I don't have any depression or anxiety. But then, I have never been a depressive or anxious person. It seems to me from reading these forums that with those who have a tendency for depression and / or anxiety these things get worse with menopause. I have done a lot of information gathering on menopause and HRT when I was trying to find out what might be the best course of action for me. I am a research scientist so information gathering, reviewing evidence and recognising good research from bunkum comes naturally to me. I know that there are a lot of unfounded myths out there as well as some good scientific studies. I don't just accept what the doctors tell me because they have their own biases. For example, I had one doctor back when I was 47 pushing me to go on oral HRT in order to deal with the symptoms early before they got worse - she was an HRT fan and that was her solution to any menopausal symptoms. I am so pleased I didn't take her advice back then.

Why do you ask?  

• Posted

Just wanted to know if you were experiencing the same symptoms due to menapause. I have never suffered from depression/anxiety until now. Apparently I'm post menapausal.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.