I've been suffering from exhausting palpitations for 6 months.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello there everyone, I'm new to this forum. Like I mentioned in the title I've been suffering from palpitations. I went to 5 different cardiologists this far. Done ecgs, ekgs, holter. I'm 23 years old female 5.8ft, 114 pounds. The tests result was sinus tachycardia ranging from 120-175 bpm.

I also went to a gastroenterologist since I've been experiencing gas and heartburn for the past 2 months he did an abdominal ultrasound and blood tests, nothing unusual came out. He could only see and feel some trapped gas. All the cardiologists and the gastroenterologist ascribed the palpitations to panic disorder. I was prescribed Zebeta b blocker 5mg. I have to admit I've always been an anxious person and I've experience panic attacks in the past. But they were all because of my high heart rate I was scared of fibrillating and dropping dead. My dad's brother died from a heart attack at 24 before our eyes so his untimely death has traumatised me. For the past 2 months I wake up in the dead of night experiencing rapid heart rate 160bpm (my blood pressure is normal by the way I have slight hypotension.) It happens almost every night doctor persists its nocturnal panic. But that's not the end. My heart rate spikes no matter what i do. In the morning I have to wait for like 40 minutes to use the bathroom because If I stand up as soon as I wake up my heartbeat will go crazy. Warm showers also seem to raise my heart rate. I've also quit working out because of those damn palpitations. Can someone help me I don't know what this is. Doctors haven't helped me so far. It's got to the point where I'm partially homebound. I even had to drop out of college because I would get those episodes every day.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Sorry to hear you're having problems

I also suffer with undiagnosed cardiovascular problems.

Turned out I was diabetic, but not before I messed up my whole metabolism by living on protein shakes for a year; now I get vasoconstriction if I eat until the point I'm satisfied, or if I take my insulin as often as I should, so I've got to live my life in this half malnourished hungry state.

Anyway, here's what I suggest.

• firstly, if you're taking any supplements or non-prescribed medications I'd stop; you don't want to make matters worse like I did with the protein shake.
    • Secondly I would buy a glucometer (Don't think they're too expensive), and check what your sugar levels are doing throughout the day, so I'd test myself like every hour or so. My diabetes wasn't picked up for years, naturally if your unwell you're eating less, which may make it appear as if you glucose is normal when you have your bloods taken. My heart definitely starts to race when my cells can't uptake glucose because I've been a bit lazy with my insulin.
    • Eat as healthy as you can, no sugary foods, no take-aways, eating everything fresh, and try go a little hungry for a while and see if that helps (I'm not suggesting be hungry as a long term solution, but it may give you a bit of a rest from it if it does help). Just eat meat and veg is a good idea.
    • You may have a food allergy, so maybe eat just one type of food for a day or a week and keep a food diary, see if you can work out what foods are better than others.
    • Finally, I like to do a bit of Tai chi, or meditation to help lower my heart rate, so maybe give that a try.

I'm pretty sure you've tried everything I've suggested.

But if you haven't, I hope this helps.

• Posted

I have a glucometer. I have every medical equipment at home. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. I also did blood tests. My blood sugar was 80. However its always lower on the glucometer. I measured it three days ago and it was around 70.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.