I've been taken of Alendronic Acid and put on Risedronate??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I was feeling sick when I took AA. I saw the GP today and she has now put me on RISEDRONATE???? I havent got the prescription yet and have to make an appointment with the dentist before taking it,.

Does anyone have any information on this drug?

Love

Eileen

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The problem you arr in the same family drug you will not find better secondary effect, call the ostoporosis help line , good for information
    • Posted

Thanks

I'll look it up on line.....wouldnt know where to find an ostoporosis nurse

This was my GP that put me on them

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

If you still have symptoms then tell the GP. They are both bisphosphonates but, like all groups of drugs, the side effects vary a bit from drug to drug. There are other options if you can't tolerate a bisphosphonate of any sort. Like Prolia/denosumab. It has downsides too but everyone I know who has been on it has found it excellent, reversing their osteoporosis

How are the rest of the problems?

• Posted

Hi Eileen

The symptoms come and go......some time when I take it I can be nauseaous all day and occasionally on the day I take them I might be OK

As for the other things.......

Well 10 months now and this fracture isnt going to heal so I've resigned myself to crutches and quite a "dip" on one side.....as if I had a high heel on one foot and nothing on the otherbiggrin  The dip onoy shows when I walk without crutches inside.

6 weeks ago the consultantgave me a cortisone injection in the top of my leg.  He said since the hip isnt going to heal we have to attack the pain.

It was mostly on the pelvic bone on that side.....the bone that sticks out at the top of your hip....think thats what it is called.

He said he wanted to see me in another 6 weeks to see how the injection had worked. I've had back ones and they have been useless but this one worked.

For 3 weeks after he gave it to me I slept on that side with no pain at all but for the next 3 weeks {approx} I woke up with it very sore but it went in about an hours time after moving a bit and 2 paracetamol.

So I'm still sleeping on that side and its not at all sore......only when I get up at first and thats the same as OA pain.....stiffness and pain on getting up then it goes or eases.  Anyway for me that is a result.

I've got to leave it for another 6 weeks and go back and see how I am. If I need another one {that will be 3 months} he will give it to me but doesnt want to give me too many because of the OP.

How about you?  How are things going?

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

Have I told you my Bowen therapist for you to investigate her? Joanne Hewitt, Meadowfield Bowen therapist - google her and find her website. Really worth a whirl as you must be walking most strangely with the fracture and crutches and everything.

Can they not do anything about the fracture? Superglue or something? ;-)

Me? Fine - my problems are minor compared with yours! I have finally found a Bowen therapist - 2, in fact, and in the village! Well, sort of, a half hour walk, 5 min in the car. Appointment at 5pm tomorrow - see what this one is like. if I don't like her I will try the other one ;-)

The weather is rubbish, neither one thing nor the other and a decided dearth of sun. Bit like the NE with less wind I suppose!

Hope your hip improves - though that is less likely I suppose after 3 good weeks. I assume you have a soft mattress topper? Mavis (in Gateshead) swears by a duvet sandwich!

BFN, love t'other Eileen in Italy

• Posted

Hi Eileen

You did mention Bowen therapy but not the practice....I will definitly look at the website

They cant do anything about the bit of bone that has seperated......too far away from the jointeek

Yes I have a memory foam mattress ....some people say they are too hot but I love mine.

Hope your 1st Bowen therapist works...let me know

Actually its 6 weeks now since I had that injection.......3 weeks with no pain at all and 3 weeks with pain on wakening but it soon goes.

That is the side I sleep on and {before the injection} even if I slept on the other side I rolled on to the bad side and immediatly woke up in pain and that happened a few times every night.

Who is Mavis in Gateshead......Not far away from me.....you've probably told me but I have the momory of a goldfishcheesygrin

The weatheris rubbish here as well.......no wind but it never gets light these days and is either raining or drizzling every day  uggh

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Mavis is the lady who started the NE polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis support group. I told her to go and see the Bowen lady I told you about - it only took about a year for her to get round to it after she could barely get from the bedroom to the loo next door! No fracture but lots of muscle things going on to cause the back/hip pain - and they were relieved after one session (she walked out without the stick!) Even if there are some bits it can't help, the way you are walking is pretty well bound to make something hurt - and as they say, every little helps ;-)

My daughter has a memory foam mattress which I think is brilliant - now, having sorted most of the pain. But the duvet is even softer to sore bits but doesn't remove the support of a good mattress.

• Posted

Hi Eileen

I did get the Bowen Therapy ladies website......I've stuck it in my favourites for the minute.

I have used a duvet under me.

In fact when we go away in the caravan for a few days....its a tourer not a posh staticcheesygrin where the 2 settees pull out and meet to make a bed....not the most comfortable.

I have a memory foam mattress for a caravan so that goes on my bit off the bed, then a kingsize duvet gets put on it, I lie down and pull the rest of the duvet over mecheesygrin

I've tried it the other way round.....duvet first, then mattress then the rest of the duvet over me......not sure if it makes much difference whichever way it is.

Oh yes.....my walking around the house is dreadful. lurch lurch but outside I usse the crutches and I think its OK then.

As you say every little helps

Love

Eileen

UK

• Posted

Who wants a posh static? I like to move around! We now have a campervan with twin beds, proper top quality mattresses and our previous tourer had a fixed double bed - I couldn't cope any more with messing about making up a bed that gave me backache ;-) We used to have a tiny caravan with the choice between twin beds or an ENORMOUS double. If the twin bits had been slightly wider it would have been much better. But I love the current ones!
    • Posted

Hi Eileen,

I dont want a posh static  lol   I would like a more comfortable bed in the caravan but like you I like moving about.

We have got to the stage of using the 2 settees as single beds rather than make them up.

Not very big but better than all the faff of making them into one bed.

You're lucky you've got one you like.....we've got this and I dont think we use it enough to warrant getting another one.

Love

Eileen  UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.