I've been taking citalopram for 4 days now and i cant eat a thing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey peoples, I just want to ask someone, i have been on 10mg citalopram for 4 days now, i have generalised anxiety and already was feeling sick before and nerves and shaky but its much worse. Over the last 2 months as my anxiety was getting worse i have lost 2 stones and am very thin now, just 8 stone. low end of my bmi and i have no desire to eat at all. I am trying , i can manage 3 mouthfuls just 4 times a day. Help please....

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety often does to us, and the meds can make things worse before it gets better.  Side effects of the meds can last a few weeks, and this is often the worst time.  It will ease off.   Citalopram is a good meds and will help you recover.  It can take some months, but please keep going as the end result is really worth it.

Try soups - liquid is easier, and there's also those fortified drinks elderly people have - Complan or something is it?  They'll help you get your nutrition whilst you wait for the meds to work.  Speak to your doctor or the pharmacist about the nutritional drinks - they'll help you.

Small mouthfuls is good - and eat whatever you want at the moment.  Chocolate 🙃

Lots of of drinks too so you don't get dehydrated.

Your appetite will return in time.

K x

• Posted

Thank you so much, i never thought of fortified drinks, i can indeed drink, its just that i cant seem to swallow solids. I will get my other half to go to the Chemist or try to get out a bit later as i need to get back to a little walking and exercise, i feel so tired. I have a 4 year old and a 18 month old, both off soon as its Christmas so I have to get beck to doing bits and bobs. 

I will report back how i get on with the smoothies and maybe protine enriched drinks.

Thanks again I really appreciate it. 

• Posted

Dear Kate, 

So I now continue to have a small eal at meal times but in between, I am taking protine drinks and bits of fruit. Seens to be working, I have a little more energy and slowly getting more calories now. Thank you so much for your help.

• Posted

Hey that sounds good - glad it seems to be working.  Small steps 😉 xx

• Posted

We all have some problems with these drugs, eventually, you will get used to the medication and I hope you will get back to normal.

Anxiety could be the main problem when discussing the inability to eat so your GP will need to be told and a Treatment Pathway may need to be arranged. You need to understand AD Medications will cause weight gain.

When you take your medications take them with Milk to settle your Tummy, you will need to eat in small amounts on a frequent basis upwards of six times a day. Eat fruits and vegetables like Greens and Potatoes and Pastas. to get carbohydrate into your body, try four ounce portions of meats, fish, and dairy products.  

Talk to your GP

BOB

• Posted

Hi neelum, I have been on citalopram for about 5 years.  At first it was good but then about 6 months ago started to feel sick &  dizzy etc.  Looked at the side effects that were listed and found my feelings were all part of side effects, so started to come off these tablets with the help of my GP.  Have cut down gradually  from 20 to 10's over the last 3 months.  First not good but now beginning to feel better.  I found the nausea the worst as I found I had to mke myself eat, but sill lost 1/2 stone.  Not good as I was only 6.5 stone to begin with. Have never been more than 7 stone  but although I am only short ( 5ft)  still look like a bag of bones. cry  The last couple of days I feel that I am winning.  Good luck . 

• Posted

I am feeling like skin and bones and getting worried but someone recomended fortified drinks which i think is a good idea, cause i cant seem to stomach food, maybe the liquid will help boost calories and kick start the appitite.  Thinking of you hun 
    • Posted

Dear Gloria, 

So I now continue to have a small eal at meal times but in between, I am taking protine drinks and bits of fruit. Seens to be working, I have a little more energy and slowly getting more calories now. Thank you so much for your help.

• Posted

Just an update, Its day 12 now and though my anxiety is still there from time to time, i now am able to eat. So I dont feel like eating but when i try, i can manage to eat 3/4 of the meal. I am still drinking protien drinks, smoothies and fruit between meals so energy and appitite is now returning. Im also less tired, Ive cut out caffien, and eating less sugary things so I dont get the high and then the fatigue, so my energy is sustained a bit longer. I am sleeping longer at night, about 10 hours and no longer have a nap in the day, where as before i just wanted to sleep all day long! Thank you all for your help on here. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.