I've been taking gabapentin for about a month

Posted , 5 users are following.

ive been taking gabapentin for a month and have had several occasions that I briefly (about 15 seconds) of not knowing where I was or what I was doing.  Like my brain  came unplugged.  Anyone else?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, have experienced simialar reacton. Also in a fog. What dose are you on?

I've been taking 100 mg 2x daily for about 1 month. In the beginninng seemed ok, after about 2 wks started getting bad reactions. Tapering off now. Understand have to do slowly due to possibility of seizures, etc.

• Posted

Thanks Judeuhi! I thought I was going crazy! I'm taking the same dosage as you, I'm going to cut back to 1 pill, either in the morning or at night.  I talked with my doctor today, and she said it was the fibromyalgia, just hard to believe the huge coincidence....glad to know I'm not alone...I'll update on my newly self prescribed one a day...lol...thanks again and good luck to you! 
    • Posted

Hi, I also cut back to 1 per day. Did for 1 week, now opening capsule and removing about half of contents to equal about 50 mgs. Will continue for about 2 wks and then cut back lower until completely off. And no, you're not crazy!  Good luck back and please do keep me posted as you progress.
    • Posted

Hi Pesh0308. Once you are diagnosed with fibromyalgia you are doomed to have every symptom or reaction attributed to it. The danger is that a delay in proper diagnoses of other causes can lead to permanent damage or death. I have permenant tremors and cognitive disabilities because the doctors refused to look further than Fibromyalgia even though I have a history of allergic reactions and hypersensitivities to medication. They just kept telling me the gabapentin was safe for five years. I had to wean myself off before I became a vegetable. Then they tried to say I had early onset Alzheimers because my memory had gotten so bad. It's much better now that I'm off the gabby but I struggle if I'm tired or rushed. I'll never be the same and it isn't the Fibromyalgia. I was forgeting things like my sons name and basic math. Glad you were wise enough to question your doctor. Good luck.
    • Posted

I completely agree lynaria. When I was referred to London I was told I was better off not mentioning fibromyalgia. Before then it took months of wrong diagnosis before I got an MRI. Jo
  • Posted

Hi, yes same here. I started a month ago and every time I titrtate to a higher dose I experience brief episodes of feeling completely detached. It was scarey at first but now I just wait for the feeling to pass. 
  • Posted

Hi,

I have this too and also word confusion which drives me insane! I'm on 1800mg a day but am now weaning myself off them so have been on 1500mg daily for the last 3 days

• Posted

Me too, the word confusion drives me and my family crazy. I thouht I was going senile. 1800mg is the treatment dose. Did it work for you? I'm titrating up to that amount and I'm only on 300mg twice a day because they haven't given me enough to go higher unless I buy a packet every week! 
    • Posted

Hi, same here with word confusion....thought it was juust me! Also memory probs, if I don't say it immediately, it's gone, lost.
    • Posted

I'm lost without my outlook calendar at work and post it stickers at home! I have notes everywhere. I've 'forgotten' what it's like to feel normal!
    • Posted

I try and stay positive by telling myself it could be worse, but some days are just worse than others. sad 
    • Posted

I know it isn't easy. Hopefully soon will be normal. Hang in there, I'm here if you need to talk. Something on here not working....took me 2 hrs to get this message thru....
    • Posted

Hi, it's hard to say if these have worked for me. I take them for disc disease along with other tablets. Now I am reducing it, I'm hoping I will see my condition has temporarily improved enough to not need them. I'm so desperate to come off these and lose weight
    • Posted

Thanks Jude, it definitely helps having people to talk to who know what it's like.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.