I've been taking Sertraline for a week, now I feel crazy. Anyone else felt like this?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I started taking Sertraline 50mg last Tuesday which when I first started taking it gave me side effects like diarrhoea and feeling nauseas which is expected. But then come to the Friday I've been up to 100mg and the past two days I've been having episodes in which I like can see things or feel like I'm crazy. I don't know what to do or don't know if this is normal. But it's horrible and don't know what to do. Anyone had this problem before?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris,

The good and bad news is yes this is completely normal. When I first started for a few weeks I thought I was going crazy, I would look in the mirror and think it didn’t look like me, I would have dilated pupils which freaked me out and weird thoughts. It increases your anxiety at first as well which doesn’t help the situation. But all of this will pass you just have to try and ride it out. It is really hard but if you feel scared or panicky we are all here to answer your worries. This is my second time on Sertraline and it is worth the initial side effects. Good luck x

• Posted

I agree Chris, rather a steep climb though for starters, if you are struggling try 75mg or 50mg for longer. My GP wouldn't increase my dose for 8 weeks from the initial 50mg starting dose. First 3.5 weeks were awful and that's a major understatement. Add headaches, complete insomnia, non stop anxiety and then it started to calm down. Feeling on the road to recovery but not quite there I upped to 75mg, the insomnia is back, anxiety and a new one in my hands are constantly shaking. Perseverance is the key, very hard when you feel terrible but it does get better. Also, everyone is different ie side effects, severity, dose etc. Good luck.

• Posted

Yeah I'm gonna go back down, I think the doctor raised me up too much too quick. But thank you anyway

• Posted

I’ve been on sertraline on and off for a number of years. It is hard initially as it can make your symptoms worse but they ease off after a couple of weeks. For me it’s worth sticking it out as after 6  8 weeks I start to feel better. Hope this helps
    • Posted

Fair enough, yeah I'm trying just to wait this out but it's been horrible which is expected I guess. But thanks anyway for replying.

• Posted

Hi Chris . My doctor also put me on 100mg after being on 50mg for only one week. It was tough! But it’ll ease off pretty quickly. I was also given Valium to help me through the bad days. I honestly couldn’t have got this far without them. I’m now in my 8th week and every day gets better. Stay strong and keep going. I know how damn hard it is and remember just wanting to stop. It’ll be worth it. Truly ❤️
  • Posted

I started last Friday 5 days ago on 50 mg. The anxiety in the morning is terrible as is the nausea. Hoping it will settle down soon.

• Posted

yeah i am in my 7th week all up but was on 25mg for 2 weeks then 50mg for 4 weeks and they just told me to go back to 25mg as i have lost so much weight that i am startimg to look sick. i have health anxiety so have convinced myself i have cancer and am dying. this stuff has really worked me over

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.