I've been taking them for about a month and depression has gotten worse. Is this common?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been depressed for almost nearly a decade now and my doctor has prescribed Citalopram 10mg / day to test the effects on me and to see if symptoms will improve. 

When I started taking C, I felt better but now I'm feeling so much worse than I did. I'm finding it hard to focus on everyday tasks and get the energy to do anything at all. The depression, when it's bad, sometimes makes it hard to breath, hard to live. I'm not suicidal but I feel hopeless. I can't seem to stop thinking on over-drive, a million miles a minute. 

Is this a common side-effect? For the depression to worsen before it gets better? Would really appreciate any response. 

Thanks!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

How long have you been taking it??
    • Posted

If it is unbearable, go and see your doctor. Some people say just ride it out and wait. But, depending on your level of depression some cant do that and it is not advisable to. Personally I dont believe people should have to put up with it getting worse week after week. It it has been over a month and not getting better please go and see your doctor. It must be terrible for you. May be a case of tweaking the dose but you wont know till you go. 
  • Posted

Hi there. Mine got much, much worse for about 3 days. It was unbearable. But evetually got better after that. I am about week 3 or 4 now and I am ok apart from sleeplessness and weird dreams, oh and a bit of brain fog. I also am forgetful sometimes with it. But it has lightened the load for me which is a big thing. Depends how long you have been taking it too. I am on 20mg a day. Some people say they are still not ok after weeks and I don't thnk that is ok, go and see your doctor to maybe tweak the dose? Of course depending on how long you have been taking it. Looks to me the average is about 3 or 4 weeks. I was lucky. Some not so lucky. It does take time. 

• Posted

Thanks for responding. I've been taking it for just over 4 weeks and initially it was really working but now I'm in a bit of a black hole mentally. I've definitely got the sleeplessness thing as well, I can't sleep until 2am (if I'm lucky) and then I'll either get up really early or I'll pass out until midday the next day. I'm seeing my doctor in a few weeks to check the dosage, perhaps I need to up it. 

• Posted

Give the medication a bit more time to work.

If you are still having problems talk to your GP and He may increase the dose to 20mg. All is His decision

Good Luck

B.

• Posted

I've taken 10 mg for 4 years and it has worked well for me at that dose.

It took about 7 weeks or so to take full effect. I would say give it time but you should talk to your doctor.

Good luck!!

• Posted

I've just booked an appointment with her today to talk it over. Thanks! Really useful to know how it's working for other people.

• Posted

Hi, I'm also taking 10mg just started a couple days ago obviously I still have a long way to go but I was wondering if your on 10mg for depression or anxiety or Both? I have crippling depression and hopefully the 10mg will work for me as it's worked for you. Don't wanna end up upping my dose. Thanks

• Posted

My first week on Celexa, I felt good. My physical anxiety symptoms disappeared, despite having some other slightly funky side effects. Unfortunately, it didn't last. I've been on the meds (20 MG, daily) for about a month and a half. I'm really sad it hasn't fully helped me yet but I'm trying to be patient. I'm back to having constant lower abdominal pain / skin pain feeling and I have my cyclical thoughts again, self-diagnosing, etc. Hoping it changes soon.

• Posted

If it worked for sometime, u will have to see your Doctor to increase your dose, it means your body is now used to the dose u are taking and no longer works, just like alcohol u body gets used and sometimes no longer have effect on the same intake, l had to ince my dose aftr2 months as well.
  • Posted

I have found that some days are better than others. I am on week 13 and I still have some pretty bad days. At the same time I've had a stretch of good days as well. I wouldn't say I'm back to my old self but I'm better. I do wish it was working faster but I'm not giving up hope.

• Posted

Be patient

I have been on them your quite a few years and they keep me nice and calm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.