I've been taking zoloft for 3 months. for the past two months I have had incessant burping

Posted , 5 users are following.

continuous burping for 12 plus hours each and every day.  Is this a side effect experienced by anyone else?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

sorry rhondalyn, that really made me giggle reading that!! sorry i would imagine that it's really annoying, i've not had burps but had hiccups alot so not sure if that's anything to do with the meds or not, also yawning alot too, even when i'm not tired, alot more than usual anyway!! hope it clears up for you, you don't take your meds with fizzy drinks do you?? or drink alot of fizzy stuff in general?? :-)
    • Posted

No fizzy drinks.  I've adjusted my diet to eliminate acidic foods and tried everything I researched to alleviate my side effect.  I was just curious if anyone else experienced the same thing and had a solution that worked for them.  I read that yawning is a side effect.  
    • Posted

yes i've had the yawning thing from day 1, even when i'm not tired!! biggrin
  • Posted

Hi Rhohndalyn..do u take the sertraline with plenty of water. And do u take it in the morning rather than at night and then lying down immediately after?  I don't know cos I didn't have this side effect..only thinking of possibilities
  • Posted

Hi Rhondalyn, 

That can be awful, sorry to hear that. If I'm not mistaken it is a side effect Zoloft can cause gas. To be sure search ( Google or another search engine- whichever you use)  Is continuous burping and gas a side effect of Zoloft ,and you should find it.  Good luck, I would speak to my Doctor about it  as well just to make sure everything is ok.

• Posted

I have already tirelessly searched the net for solutions  nothing so far has worked. 

I thank you for your help

• Posted

Yes i get really bad heart burn with it. Its horrid and i agree with not lying down after 1 to 2 hours after taking it. Hopefully will get better when we adjust our timing with it. 
    • Posted

i get heartburn if i don't take my meds with much water, can feel then going down my throat and it starts about 10 minutes later, now i have a big glass of juice or water of whatever and not had it since :-)

• Posted

Just make sure it's not grapefruit juice...can interact with a lot of medication. I think water is best

• Posted

yes i have read that grapefruit juice interacts with the medication and can actually put more of the drug into your body than you need, strange. yes i take mine with either water or vimpto cordial but make sure they are definately down before i stop drinking the fluids as the heartburn and indigestion that comes with it is a killer, i end up having to lie down on the floor, no matter where i am!! in a service station once!! i thought i was having a heart attack, was awful  :-(
  • Posted

Hello, did stopping sertraline or reducing at 25 mg change anything ?… I have the same issues with sertraline (50mg).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.