I've been to gp today after 2 high bp readings over last week and it was even higher today!

Posted , 4 users are following.

She has prescribed ramapril to start tomorrow but I'm scared stiff at a reading of 222/108. She said not to worry and I'm going for cholesterol test in morning and having ecg in 2 weeks. Surely if she was that worried about me she would have had me admitted to hospital.

Can anyone reassure me please.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My OH was nearly300/187 and they put him straight on meds and he's been on them ever since, 18 years and it took about a week to come down, even sometimes now it rockets again.

Has it been normal until now and if you don't mind me asking are there any exterior influences ie weight smoke etc and age

• Posted

It's been normal up until 2 weeks ago. Yes lifestyle isn't good! Need more exercise and eat healthily. Im 59 so that's a contributory factor I guess.

Definitely going to change my lifestyle as this has really scared me.

Thank you for replying.

• Posted

If it was normal until two weeks ago there must be a lifestyle reason for the sudden rise and your GP should have had you back a few times before putting you on Ramipril.  Amy new stress or anxiety in your life apart from Christmas?
    • Posted

I hadn't had my bp taken for about a year so I don't know if it's been gradually rising.

No new stress and I'm not really stressed about Xmas to be honest.

I haven't eaten healthily, crisps, pies, fried foods etc. I'm thinking this is why. Also I am not very active. My job involves a lot of sitting down.

• Posted

Were the high BP readings taken at the surgery - I'm thinking 'white coat 'syndrome. Are there any other reasons it would have been so high or could it have been rising for a length of time? An occasional high reading is not unusual depending on exterior influences such as Alexandria mentions. Have you had a 24 hr monitor, it is usual these days to be offered one before a diagnosis of hypertension.  Trouble is drs aren't inclined to take you off meds once started and BP medication is usually for life..
    • Posted

Yes readings were st surgery. I was anxious yesterday as I had been called in to surgery after I had done a self test in the waiting room a few days ago. I had had one other high reading previously a couple of weeks ago. I'm not usually anxious so don't know why first one was high.
  • Posted

The 222/108 was probably White Coat Hypertension. As soon as I go into a Surgery or hospital it shoots up. You should buy a BP monitor and check it a couple of times a day at home where you will be more relaxed. It may take some time to get you on the drug that suits you best,

The British Heart Foundation have a good series of booklets on Hypertension, Medications and all heart related problems.

In 2000 my BP was 220/110 now fitteen years later it can still reach that first thing in the morning for some undscoverable reason. Labile BP they say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.