I've been told by my doctor ive low b12

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have been told been told couple months ago i have low b12 and have been getting disturbed eye sit street lights or any lights in my house blur in my eyes and then sometime ill see like blurry lights in?front me swirling in?front me could this be something to do with the low b 12 or something comptly differnt i have autism and adhd and get meds for that .

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi David.

What has your doctor given you for your low Vitamin B12?

Vision distortion, e.g. seeing stars, or double vision  Intolerance to loud sounds, flashing lights and  Poor Night vision are just three of the many symptoms of a B12 deficiency and raising your levels may help a little with your autism.

Have you ever had your eyesight test by an optometrist (or optician)? If not - ask your doctor to refer you to one.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had Pernicious Anaemia (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 46 years.

I wish you well.

• Posted

hi the doctor give me cyanocobalamin tablets to to take 50 mg i got tested for anemia and dont have it

• Posted

Depending on how low your B12 level was and how long you were low will determine the length of time it will take for you to feel better. It is not am overnight "cure".

As long as you are able to absorb nutrients via your digestion the tablets will restore your level of B12 in your liver where we normally have several years worth stored.

We need to constantly "top up" that store in the liver and the natural source of B12 is from food derived from animals. Are you able to eat **meat, fish, seafood, poultry, eggs and dairy produce for example, cheese, milk etc?

In addition we also need to eat foods high in Folate such as Sprouts, Broccoli, Asparagus, Spinach, Peas, Beans etc. Several breakfast cereals are now *fortified * with folic acid.

Hopefully you are not Vegan or Vegetarian. and can regularly eat meals which contain elements of both B12 and Folate.

An Autism spectrum disorder can mimic the signs and symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency.

Symptoms of B12 deficiency tend to develop slowly and may not be recognised immediately. As the condition worsens, common symptoms include:

Weakness and fatigue

Light-headedness and dizziness

Palpitations and rapid heartbeat

Shortness of breath

A sore tongue that has a red, beefy appearance

Nausea or poor appetite

Weight loss

Diarrhoea

Yellowish tinge to the skin and eyes

If low levels of B12 remain for a long time, the condition also can lead to irreversible damage to nerve cells, which can cause the following symptoms:

Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet

Difficulty walking

Muscle weakness

Irritability

Memory loss

Dementia

Depression

Psychosis

I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

hi i eat lot meat and dairy prodocts i find eating fish or veg imposblie because i have sensory problems i waiting to get test done for my nerves in arm and hand cause sometimes it can be comptly numb

• Posted

If you don't eat leafy green vegetable you may be Folate deficient.

There is a complex interaction between folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron. A deficiency of one may be "masked" by excess of another so the three must always be in balance.

Symptoms of a folate deficiency can include:

symptoms related to anaemia

reduced sense of taste

diarrhoea

numbness and tingling in the feet and hands

muscle weakness

depression

Folic acid works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly in the body and your B12 levels are "bumping along the bottom of the range.

Please ask your doctor to test your Folate level. It may be that he will prescribe you with Folic acid tablets.

Your numbness may also be caused by your low B12 so it's a double whammy.

Take care now.

• Posted

i was already given folic acid and its been put back to normal

• Posted

Let's hope your treatment works and you get to feel better soon.

I wish you well

• Posted

i went to get my eyes tested giving me lightly tenteded glasses to help but i am stuggling to take my b 12 tablets cause i am getting really bad anxity one them

• Posted

Lets hope the tinted glasses will help - mine are tinted too as I cannot stand bright lights.

As to the anxiety you feel taking the B12 what is making you feel like this? Is it the taste or that you have to hold them in your mouth?

Please, if you can - don't worry about them as stress uses up B12 and don't be afraid of overdosing as any excess is excreted via your urine. They are quite harmless.

If you really cannot manage the tablets you could ask your doctor to give you an injection instead. That's how I am treated.

Please remember I am not a medically trained person and your doctor is the best person to speak to.

• Posted

its mot taken or the taste i was fine on them a night i get paranoid and annixty it seem to make it worse my heart was going was worse any time i had anxity at night i dont know why tho

• Posted

You really do need to try and not worry. It is not unknown that taking B12 can cause a slight heart "flutter" but it should not make you alarmed about it.

When do you take the tablet - in the morning or at night?

• Posted

i have lived on own for bout year and had to move cause someone set fire to my old flat at 2 in the morning i have had really bad anxity taken panic attacks sense then hardly sleep and told my doctors and they have not done anything to help me

• Posted

Well that's sensible. I supplement with a Vitamin B12 spray every morning.

• Posted

That's sad about the fire. Hopefully you will soon begin to feel more settled and less anxious.

I wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.