I've been turned down PIP -do I bother to appeal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I suffer with BPD. Following a distressing assessment I have now been told I do not meet any of the criteria for PIP. I feel devastated and as though they're saying there's nothing wrong with me, nor do I need help. Any advice on whether or not to appeal would be most welcome please- I suppose there's nothing to lose.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Get a letter from your psychiatric doctor to confirm you have bpd, and go to citerzins advice as they will help you. I get disability allowance and I have schzioaffective disorder.

Hope this helps.

Lou

• Posted

Yes, you should appeal. How PIP operates actually costs the government so much more money than it should. PIP assessors are paid to deny you access to PIP, so more often than not, you will always lose your first claim. 

Take it to a civil claims court. The judge there will be impartial and won’t be on DWP’s payroll. If you honestly believe you need PIP, you will get it. So not only do the government now owe you PIP, they’ve paid someone a bonus when, in the end, you got PIP anyway. 

If you do appeal, go to a Citizen’s Advice Bureau and they will be an absolutely amazing asset to you and your appeal. 

But long story short, appeal. 

• Posted

, I will take your advice, many thanks for taking time to reply! 
  • Posted

Definitely CAB also an advocate and any medical letters e.g. psyhctrist doc what meds you are on , from what I've heard that a lot of people get turned down first assessment. Good luck

• Posted

Many thanks for that, I will next proceed to seeing CAB!confused
  • Posted

Hi why not put your post in the benefits site on here as there are some very knowledgeable folks on there especially one person.  x
  • Posted

Appeal appeal! They did the same with my ESA (and PIP but I literally had no strength to appeal at the time) and that's when I began self harming. You need a professional to write a letter explaining your issues and how it affects your life, including how this PIP decision has affected you. With my ESA I fought hard and they overturned the decision and have NEVER bothered me again(crossing fingers & toes). Just be strong and persist, I regret not doing this myself with PIP.

Hope all goes well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.