I've been very depressed over the last year. Don't know where to go or what to do.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been so depressed 10 mg of Citalopram a day was prescribed. 4/5 weeks on no effect- don't feel any better. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Syko - 10mg seems alow dose any reason for that i was 20mg and i took a dose 

• Posted

They should bump you up to 20mg, that is when I felt a,difference and then I am now on 30mg.
    • Posted

Hi diane524, I don't know why they started me on 10mg. Perhaps they were worried how it would inter react  with the other Meds I take for blood pressure etc.? Thanks for your interest. Syko

• Posted

They started me on 10mg too and waited 5 weeks to increase and my other dr said it should have been increased after about two weeks.
  • Posted

Yes I also think increasing to 20mg may be the push you need.  10mg is usually a maintenance dose after you've recovered.  Also 4/5 weeks is pretty early days too - usually the first few weeks are the worst as symptoms can worsen before they start improving.  These meds are slow working and you may need to wait some more weeks.  Some people get better quicker, some longer.

They're good meds and they will help you to recover.

K x

• Posted

Thanks for reply, yes I have been told about how it takes time. I didn't expect sudden happiness. But to begin with it made me feel worse, tired and lethargic. Depression is new to me. I'm wondering if what's happened to me physically over the last few years has a bearing on how I feel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.